Why Spearfishing is an advanced Activity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lionfish are a lost cause,but my ethics make it difficult to kill without harvest.But.....

I trapped nuisance coyotes as a kid,use pest control in my home and yard and kill rats and squirrels that get in the attic.

BTT
1.Spearfishers often dive solo
2,Spearfishers often dive around structure where entanglement is possible
3.Spearfishing is intensively focused,distracting from guages and other situational awareness
4.Spearfishers often exceed their training due to the thrill of the chase
5.Spearfishers interact with animals vaqstly different than normal divers

1.Spearfishers often dive solo
Yes we do.
Less chance of your buddy shooting the fish you want or scaring them away from being a clutz.
And less chance of somebody inadvertantly getting shot.
2.Spearfishers often dive around structure where entanglement is possible.
Yes, and also going into holes, caves, swim throughs and other places they don't belong looking for game.
3.Spearfishing is intensively focused, distracting from guages and other situational awareness.
Well not always. Most spearfishers I know are pretty good about keeping track of of time and air supply. The problem happens when the big fish swims up right when they are at the end of their dive/air supply.
4.Spearfishers often exceed their training due to the thrill of the chase
I don't know this to be true, at least not around here. Most spearfishers I know have been diving a long time and are pretty good. I don't think spearfishers are statistically the highest group known for accidents/DCS/panic/problems/etc.
5.Spearfishers interact with animals vastly different than normal divers
Yeah, regular divers like to look at pretty fishes in the water.
Spearfishers like to look at pretty fishes on the fillet table.

regular divers like to look at pretty fishes in the water.
Spearfishers like to look at pretty fishes on the fillet table.
So, what about those of us who like both?

This is something that's not uncommon to hear from non-hunters: That they can't understand that hunters are able to look at and enjoy wildlife while not wanting to kill it. For me, it's simple: If it's legal and in season, I'd love to take it home and eat it, after enjoying the thrill of the hunt. If it's not legal or not in season, I'm quite content with just watching the critter. I have no problem enjoying the sight of a huge wolffish at a heavily dived site, or a big lobster - which is protected from UW hunting around here - without wanting to kill it.

I also believe that as my interest in (topside and UW) hunting has given me a better insight in the life and behavior of animals and fish than many non-hunters have.

So, what about those of us who like both?

This is something that's not uncommon to hear from non-hunters: That they can't understand that hunters are able to look at and enjoy wildlife while not wanting to kill it. For me, it's simple: If it's legal and in season, I'd love to take it home and eat it, after enjoying the thrill of the hunt. If it's not legal or not in season, I'm quite content with just watching the critter. I have no problem enjoying the sight of a huge wolffish at a heavily dived site, or a big lobster - which is protected from UW hunting around here - without wanting to kill it.

I also believe that as my interest in (topside and UW) hunting has given me a better insight in the life and behavior of animals and fish than many non-hunters have.
Relax, it's just supposed to give you a giggle.
I like to look at fish too and there are many times I don't take a gun.
Down in Socal there are marine protected areas (MPA's) where you can view huge lobsters too.

Not intending a hijack, but would you recommend starting with a pole or sling for someone who is tired of watching flounder, black bass, and pollock go by?

Ok, when I was heavy into spearfishing back in the 80's and 90's, I used one of these 60 inch Double Barrel guns by pat Frain of Ultimate Dive Products.....
ultimate.jpg
You had tremendous power and accuracy, along with a rapid 2nd shot if needed.

Using the high tech, or "fun" tech of the day, made it all the more fun to do, and if you are going to shoot a spear into a fish, it is better to instantly put them to sleep ( so to speak), than to just wound them with a bad shot, or make them suffer with an ineffective spearing set up.... I would use this for anything from 8 pound to 80 pounds.

Today, if I was not shooting video, I'd probably add this for more fun :)
spear gun full length.jpg
Obviously not the little bogus speargun--but the laser sight you see mounted on it...which I could mount to my Ultimate gun....then again, you could use a little pea shooter like this one, with the laser sight, to take out the evil Lionfish more effectively!

Relax, it's just supposed to give you a giggle.

I'm quite relaxed :)

I guess my post came out sounding quite a bit more snarky than intended...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

For a first gun it is wise to see what is common among the BETTER spearfishers in your area.Mine was a 42 JBL,my second was a stainless 54 Biller and my current is a 54 mahogany Biller.

Classed as "starter guns"by more than a few internet gurus I have managed to spearfish professionally for 10 years with that last gun.Changing the trigger mech after an estimated 4000 dives/30,000 shots.The first 2 are loaners still in use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom