Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maule, I don't know where you are in N.C., however, I'll be diving Loch Low-Minn, in Athens, TN, this weekend (just not sure which day yet). If you can make it down I'd be more than happy to let you try mine out.

Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer...

Thank you for the offer but its about a 6 hour drive for me 1 way. I do appreciate the offer, thanks.

Hi Maule,
Why don't you private message me with your contact info and we'll see if we can make it happen.

The main drawback I can see with i3 at the moment is that it wouldn't be very useful for demonstrations in a class unless everyone was using them.

Hi Mattoau,
The solution is for the instructor, who has an i3 model, to remove the oral inflator and replace it with a traditional Powerline inflator. That way, the instructor, who now has both types of inflators on their BC, has the ability to teach either one or both.

I actually did that with mine and added an atomic SS1 so I have something thats common for everyone to use as well as gave me a back up. I've owned the Dimension for about 3 weeks now and I have dove it four times but came to find out that the i3 is leaking air from the body of it which seems odd, and this happens to be the second one this happened to, so definately make sure your LDS checks it first as now I have to wait to get my brand new BC sent in for service after only getting to dive it a few times..

This is a complete and utter thread high-jack, but I just started working for a dive shop who is an Aqua-Lung dealer and I've been unsure on whether or not to start switching over my gear. Based purely on the fact Tom is responding to people's questions in a literate non-confrontational manner I'm going to dive it a go, although at the moment I'll be switching my tech stuff to Apex long before I get a chance to switch recreational stuff over to AL.

Michael

I just got back from a 6 week trip where I was using my Lotus i3 for the first time. I have to say I really love it. I always found I had trouble controlling the inflator hose buttons but with the lever control it was a breeze deflating or inflating just the right amount. I found it really easy to get perfect buoyancy which was very important for me as I was conducting Reef Check transects and doing benthic cover, where you pretty much have to hover perfectly over the transect line. I would recommend this system to anyone.

I also did my Rescue Diver course with it, and found I had great control, especially on descent. Doing approach for a panicked diver was super quick for an approach from under the water. One of the only thing I didn't like about this BCD was the round clips on the front which are very difficult to pop open. Been wondering if it would be useful to have a lock on the mechanism so other people bumping gear into you on the boat doesn't waste air... Only thing is it would be one more thing to check before getting in the water.

tphillipp,

I have been looking at the Pro QD with I3 now for a while and was wondering how well they stand up? I have read several reviews of people having to constantly send it back for warranty and to stay away. Obviously you wouldn't say something to discourage the sale of one of your products but are you able to say how many warranty issues you've seen with these? I like the look of it and all the features it has. The only other thing I found odd with this is the oral inflator. I've sort of seen how it works but at the same time I haven't. Does it stand up well? How does it work exactly when you don't have a button to push to blow in and then release?

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you to help me decide if I want to purchase this (ie - in the spring time)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom