Why waste money on training!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys why waste your own hard earned dollars on trivial things like training when you can just learn the old fashioned way? Read an article or two and completely rely on your computer! Qualified shmalified! Check out this article on Tech diving. You too can be a decompression diver, with little to no effort at all!

I beleive you're getting all jammed up over blog spam.

It doesn't look like real content, but seems to have been written by someone who spent a little time with Google and got paid for writing legitimate-sounding filler for search engine consumption.

As someone who manages a SCUBA blog that publishes 1-2 times a day, the biggest fault I see in this article is not having the disclaimer that the article is for informational purposes only and additional training is required at the beginning and again in the middle of the article.

Our writer knows dive gear, destinations, marine life, marine news, and basic skills very well, but she’s not an instructor, cave diver, or working through tech training like I am, so I directly oversee the training articles. If it’s something like “3 easy tips to clear your mask more quickly”, it’s unlikely we need a disclaimer. If it’s more technical oriented, I make sure she always includes the disclaimer at least at the beginning and end.

Regardless of disclaimers or articles published online, there will always be divers who don’t think they need training and can do advanced diving just by reading a book/blog post/article. While I make sure the disclaimer is there so people are less likely to hurt themselves, in all honesty a big part of the disclaimer is so no one can say, “I hurt myself on this dive but I followed all of the directions in the article on Aquaviews!”

I just started my TDI Advanced Nitrox then will be going into Deco Procedures, but we’re doing it all without computers which may be harder, but it makes much more sense to me to learn it that way. I don’t know if that’s required by TDI or my instructors choice, nor do I know if other agencies actually allow only computer-based deco learning, so I don’t really know if this article goes against all training standards.

Reactions: Jax
What classes did Jacques Cousteau take? What did people do before Padi and Naui?

Why keep reinventing the wheel & having potential casualties?..... It's been already been learned by the sacrifices (usually their lives) of others.

If a man thinks he'll have more fun and be more confident in a particular subject matter by getting some formal training, I believe and I would recommend that he seek out a well regarded instructor or mentor.

If a man thinks he can become proficient in the same subject matter by teaching himself and developing his own program of self instruction and rigorous peer and self evaluation - I think he should go for it.

I've taken a dozen or so courses in a lot of things from chemistry (for the fun of it) to rock climbing - I never really gave a lot of thought to things like "will I pass or fail?" - as long as I learned something, I was satisfied that I spent my time and money well.

I have also taught myself a few things pretty technical (career related) but I always had the good sense to have someone I very much respected evaluate my performance and knowledge before I really became comfortable enough to do whatever it was without supervision.

If someone wants to learn about or teach himself certain very advanced technical aspects of scuba diving - who am I to have an opinion about it? It's a free country after all. I'd be a liar if I said I have never done some advanced dive profiles without any "training" - (we were practicing decompression dive profles when we were 15 or 16 years old by reading Navy manuals from my friends dad and the public library) - we didn't die . . and we certainly didn't have computers - we had a full tank of gas, a couple tanks waiting for us at a predetermined depth and location and an agreed upon plan and that was pretty much it.

Why keep reinventing the wheel & having potential casualties?..... It's been already been learned by the sacrifices (usually their lives) of others.

It is part of learning how to advance your knowledge without someone holding your hand. People who never learn to advance on their own will never contribute to advancement.

It is part of learning how to advance your knowledge without someone holding your hand. People who never learn to advance on their own will never contribute to advancement.

Typically, if done correctly, all the courses do, is give the student a "license to learn" in a safe manner. I've seen plenty of divers out there that NEED their hands held & more. Some even have no business being in the water. I agree there is a point to where there is the pioneering level, in which there is not training,... but up to that point, the training is there. To undertake dives, without available training is unconscionable & irresponsible.

To undertake dives, without available training is unconscionable & irresponsible.

Why? I'm not forcing you to do it. Unconscionable and irresponsible in what regard? Am I placing an undue burden on the community? The "authorities" ? In some respects, I suppose there are hobbyists like those of us who scuba dive who resent a nanny state intrusion into our private affairs.

If I were to decide to build a rockship in my backyard and attempt a moonshot, I predict an outpouring of gloom and doom from the "tsk tskers" and busy bodies - we've become a society of pack animals in search of a winning formula for the latest popularity contest.

I've seen plenty of divers out there that NEED their hands held & more. Some even have no business being in the water.

If any student comes out of OW training needing their hand held, then their instructor failed them big time. And here's the sad part, most likely they will return to that same instructor for more classes because that's the only instructor they really know.

As someone who manages a SCUBA blog that publishes 1-2 times a day, the biggest fault I see in this article is not having the disclaimer that the article is for informational purposes only and additional training is required at the beginning and again in the middle of the article.

Our writer knows dive gear, destinations, marine life, marine news, and basic skills very well, but she’s not an instructor, cave diver, or working through tech training like I am, so I directly oversee the training articles. If it’s something like “3 easy tips to clear your mask more quickly”, it’s unlikely we need a disclaimer. If it’s more technical oriented, I make sure she always includes the disclaimer at least at the beginning and end.

Regardless of disclaimers or articles published online, there will always be divers who don’t think they need training and can do advanced diving just by reading a book/blog post/article. While I make sure the disclaimer is there so people are less likely to hurt themselves, in all honesty a big part of the disclaimer is so no one can say, “I hurt myself on this dive but I followed all of the directions in the article on Aquaviews!”

I just started my TDI Advanced Nitrox then will be going into Deco Procedures, but we’re doing it all without computers which may be harder, but it makes much more sense to me to learn it that way. I don’t know if that’s required by TDI or my instructors choice, nor do I know if other agencies actually allow only computer-based deco learning, so I don’t really know if this article goes against all training standards.

All good tech training I am aware of uses tables. Either cut on v planner or some other software or tables already published. At least in the beginning. Your computer is a bottom timer. Nothing more. You need to know why you are doing what you are doing as well as how. So rather than fly the computer you do the math. You don't need to figure deco algorithms. Those are already done. Many times over. But using pre cut tables is as much about discipline as well.

I know early on I tended to fly the computer as a new diver rather than following a rigid schedule. That was how I was more or less taught to use it. Tech diving is all about discipline to follow a plan. Five minutes more on a recreational dive within the NDL's as a computer may allow is no big deal most times. Fine more minutes on a deep deco dive could screw you big time in terms of deco and having enough gas.

So early on you really plan the dive and dive the plan. If the plan says you have 15 minutes on the bottom at 15:01 you are on your way up the ascent line. Or should be if you are actually using the discipline you should be. My take on it anyway. The way I was trained and the way I train.

Typically, if done correctly, all the courses do, is give the student a "license to learn" in a safe manner.

What planet are you from? The dive training industry is set up on more classes. You take basic open water, then before you are done they want to sign you up for advanced. Then rescue, then a bunch of specialties, some more beneficial than others. Many of these classes plug holes in the training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom