Why waste money on training!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typically, if done correctly, all the courses do, is give the student a "license to learn" in a safe manner. I've seen plenty of divers out there that NEED their hands held & more. Some even have no business being in the water. I agree there is a point to where there is the pioneering level, in which there is not training,... but up to that point, the training is there. To undertake dives, without available training is unconscionable & irresponsible.

So where does this "license to learn" fit in? Or is it just a license to buy more training?

Take AOW to do certain dives you may not have log experience or certification to dive. Take solo diver to be able to dive by yourself when the certification is required. This is not a high bar to make your diving life easier. Disclaimer, I don't mean to imply this is all the training you should pursue.

Is it the circle jerk and bash people who would try to learn something on their own time again? I think reading about and researching topics shows a great interest and drive to learn. It's nice to learn about a topic before you train, or even during the training to help reinforce points and hear alternate viewpoints.
Obviously some things you can't learn from just reading, but the premise of this thread is ridiculous. Do you feel threatened?

If any student comes out of OW training needing their hand held, then their instructor failed them big time. And here's the sad part, most likely they will return to that same instructor for more classes because that's the only instructor they really know.

That kind of stuff makes me crazy. Like the "peak performance buoyancy" class or whatever it's called.

Anybody who gets out of OW without having good buoyancy and trim, got screwed over and has my permission to go back and tell the instructor that he needs to do his job and not just cash the check and sign the forms.

flots.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

Is it the circle jerk and bash people who would try to learn something on their own time again? I think reading about and researching topics shows a great interest and drive to learn. It's nice to learn about a topic before you train, or even during the training to help reinforce points and hear alternate viewpoints.
Obviously some things you can't learn from just reading, but the premise of this thread is ridiculous. Do you feel threatened?

I've learned a bunch of stuff diving on my own. A number of items would have been much less dangerous if I didn't have to "learn then the hard way"

Last edited:
So where does this "license to learn" fit in? Or is it just a license to buy more training?

Some people just don't want to understand the economics of the dive industry. They don't stop and think, "Do the dive shop and training agencies make more money selling more or less training". Of course they make more money selling more training and will promote a never ending string of classes to take. Even if the classes are not necessary, for example the Zombie Apocalypse Diver specialty.

Of course they make more money selling more training and will promote a never ending string of classes to take.

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I have heard the local dive shops heavily promote the whole "become a master scuba diver" by taking just a few more specialties.

... for example the Zombie Apocalypse Diver specialty.

Whoa! When did they start doing that one? Gotta go, I'm running right over to my LDS to sign up, so I can add another pretty plastic card to my tiddly winks collection!

:rofl3:

I havnt watched the video or what ever. It all boyles down to.... you dont know what you dont know. That instructor has a pretty good idea what you dont know. Mechanics is always one thing. Skill is another

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

They died till someone decided to better the odds.

What classes did Jacques Cousteau take? What did people do before Padi and Naui?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom