Why would I take continuing Education classes ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
I was asked this from a school principal taking open water classes. Last summer when I met him he said educators are always willing to learn.

I had him take a long class, and this week is drysuit class in the pool. He has many hours in the pool. I still only tell very little, as the instructor needs no confusion from outside divers and I know that.

As were collecting oysters and mussels for a happy hour after my night dive on saturday, why would I take an advanced class. I replied you whined to me your buddy took a class from an Instructor that has a bus with an oven in it and you bring the pizza, I thought this was to loose weight. so your buddy did the weekend class and is certified and your not. He said well no it did not work out that way, he is hoping to get certified in the next few weeks.

I now said so you will be certified and know how to dive before him and know how to use a drysuit. He replied I am happy I took this class and my instructor is great and said I am very lucky to dive with you and your buddy cause they are the best divers there can be. I replied You will enter the water with me and maybe him, but we will not be diving together, you are going to do your own dive.

Taking classes is where someone is willing to teach a diver how to be aware of certain things while diving a particular way. I am not willing to do that, but what I will do is answer your ?'s from My experience. I dive to see the millions of different sea life our waters have to offer, My buddy shares them with the world and is far by better than any thing I have seen yet, and all they are is his dive log, of every dive. I have no dive log only memory's and a few Pic's'sand vid's.

He then proclaimed about how they want him to be a platinum diver, He said do I need to be a platinum diver. I said you will get a ? form to fill out on the instructor for SSI to evaluate the instructor and they are to push for con-ed classes.

I also said you can legally rent a dry suit and I can not. Your AOW allows you to do dives on vacation you might not be able to.

If an Educator feels that these classes are a waste of time how can you possibly think regular people that become a diver would think this is useful.

He dose not think it is worth the money.

Myself I hate to teach, I just want to dive, but I have read and herd so much that I find that this particular situation is something that needs to be figured out so the mindset is set differently when starting out taking OW class.

My only answer is, To become a scuba diver you must take all together, and then just take Divemaster to guide or become an Instructor.

I have a dive at 13:15 must go see my sea buddy's now.

Some continuing classes are good, others not so much. Of course it depends on the instructor. You do always learn SOMETHING, though it may or may not be worth the money. And it's something to do if you've been retired since 1996. Advanced course is always a good idea, so you have the card that some dive ops require to go to 100'.

I think that divers tend to develop perceptions on the value of continued education, primarily based upon the progress and value they gain from the courses they take.

If the course/s address strict criteria (i.e. learn to use a drysuit), then some people will develop the perception that they could have achieved that by themselves. After all, many of the courses offered do deal with subjects that could be self-educated, or mentored outside of a formal learning environment.

If, however, the course/s approach diver development with a wider scope... that being 'overall development', in addition to specific course-related learning objectives, then it becomes easier to identify the benefit of training.

That makes it a very good idea for the instructor to provide training with a consultative approach - going beyond the strict course minimums and using their talent and experience as educators to identify and address the complete spectrum of student deficiencies. Of course, that depends on the instructor actually having talent and experience as an educator :wink:

The more you know the better it gets

Deep air, no training, just practice, no problem..........??????????????????

Eric

Deep air, no training, just practice, no problem..........??????????????????

Given access to a mentor, a huge volume of electronic and paper learning resources...and the application of disciplined, risk-averse and progressive development... yes, why not?

The 'Deep Diver' course...if taught as per the minimum requirements... does little to truly prepare or educate a diver for that activity, when compared to self-teaching. The main difference is that a formal course integrates supervision and a duty-of-care for the student. In contrast, a non-professional mentor does not have that formal duty-of-care and the self-taught diver doesn't have the 'expert' supervision.

It's easy to overlook the issues of supervision and duty-of-care, when only ascertaining the value of a course on the basis of its developmental outcome.

just wish there was a way that everyone could look at it as advancement of being the ultimate diver, I would put out to say that possibly the current term is like being a cubscout or brownie and your advance is boy and girl scouts, then you earn merit badges (padi use to have them for all the classes you achieved) as you mastered it.

So I might have to say also devon might have something there as the instructor having the talent and experience as an educator. It makes sense as the diver is taken to instructor through are current trend in cert agencies, so we have so many poor educators giving a reputation that Even I say the same as TMheimer said, need advanced to dive 100', etc and this is the sell the AOW class has become.

Wookie mentioned ya need a solo card to dive solo on his boat, yet not sure all ops require night diver to go on night dives.

Or even have underwater spearfishing cert to go on spearo boat, or mixed boat for that case as you need to be aware of non spearo's dive.

Really it is hard for me to grasp what to tell this guy so he can advance in diving, as I have about 100 dives this year and we are only about 100 days into the year, he will be lucky to hit 30 to 50 dives this year at most.

The application of time may be a deciding factor. If you have plenty of it and are young enough to wait untill many logged dives bring you the knowledge fine. The typical diver with other hobbies and interests neeeeds formal education to shorten the time needed through classes.

Case in point the length of OW in 1980 and the material covered in contrast with todays 1 day OW and many classes to cover what used to be basic info. It is to shorten time needed to get wet, but puts up card road blocks to ensure they at least heard the info 1.

@ Devon, VDG knew that was toungue in cheek.
Eric

One thing I decided early on was not to teach classes that held no interest for me, or where I did not have the training or experience to offer a class that I would consider worth taking. I do not make a living as an underwater photographer or even land photog. I have cameras for both but have not sold any photos. And some from both areas are quite good. But 4 or 5 out of thousands I have shot are more luck than skill except for some land shots that I really took the time to do right. I could sell a class and make a few bucks but that would go against my morals and ethics.

I made the decision to teach in areas where not only did I have experience but was passionate about. My late wife would say you could see the fire in my eyes when talking about wrecks or underwater navigation. So by concentrating on subjects that would further my own skills in those areas I am able to take students to a new level in those same areas.

At the same time I also focus on how training in nav, deep, wreck, buoyancy and trim, low vis, etc. not only improves skills in those areas but in every area of diving. It is a holistic approach that I also use to point out how con ed, if it is good, also affects a person's life in general.

UWNav requires focus, dedication, practice, and at times quick decision making. These can easily be applied in a persons daily life on the job or in their personal life. As well as in the pursuit of other hobbies. Pointing this out to students goes a long way towards holding their interest and adding real value to a course.

But when doing this one needs to be sincere and be able to show personally where it has applied. If you can couple that with superior skills and a real depth of knowledge in the subject, and a willingness to further your own knowledge, students will see the value and not question the benefit of the training.

They will also likely come back for more without being prodded to. At least that has been my experience. While I do teach small classes and issue limited certs compared to others my con ed rate is around 85% with students who did ow with me and over 70% with those who have sought me out for advanced and specialty training. Many have done multiple classes and workshops. I have also referred a few to other divers who offer better training in areas where I have no interest. And some of those are not scuba instructors, but they make a living at what they do in those areas or supplement their income with it. You do not need a scuba instructor to teach you to take good photos. You need a photographer who dives.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

If the course/s address strict criteria (i.e. learn to use a drysuit), then some people will develop the perception that they could have achieved that by themselves. After all, many of the courses offered do deal with subjects that could be self-educated, or mentored outside of a formal learning environment.

Hindsight is always 20-20, because it is always easier to say I could have done it myself after someone has shown you the way. Self-education is not the easy way to learn, but if done properly, it is a thorough and rewarding way to learn.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom