Wild water temps on Molasses Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better get Al Gore down there in his Speedo to check things out.

al-gore-global-warming-hot-air.jpg

After the "global warming" scientists were caught lying(climate gate), this record cold doesnt help there cause at all.:shakehead:

The drysuit is not just for the caves anymore :shakehead: Beginning to think it was the best gear purchase I made all year !!

I was already bringing my drysuit when I come down there in 2 weeks, maybe I'll have to think about bringing my artic undergarments too lol

shipping my drysuit to get new seals on---never thought i'd even consider using it in Ft. Lauderdale!

plot_met.php
I've been checking this out myself the past couple of days and wondered how "out of the norm" it was. I'll be down there for a couple of days the last week in January and hoping it warms up a bit (it's supposed to). Hoping my 4/3 wetsuit will be enough.

Anybody here dive out of KL the last few days? If so, would love to hear about it.
There's something wrong with that record. For one thing, if it is tidal, there should usually be two low tides per day at Molasses. For another, each low tide should occur about 30 min later than the previous one. That's not happening with the temp drops. More specifically, the drops are occurring about every 24 hr, so they are probably not related to the tides. Whatever is causing them I think is not directly related to the actual water temp, although I suppose it could have been raining about every 24 hr for a few days with surface temps reflecting the cooler rain temps.

There's something wrong with that record. For one thing, if it is tidal, there should usually be two low tides per day at Molasses. For another, each low tide should occur about 30 min later than the previous one. That's not happening with the temp drops. More specifically, the drops are occurring about every 24 hr, so they are probably not related to the tides. Whatever is causing them I think is not directly related to the actual water temp, although I suppose it could have been raining about every 24 hr for a few days with surface temps reflecting the cooler rain temps.

I noticed that as well but one of the low tides is always stronger than the other and there is also influence from the wind pushing water around.
We are seeing the temp drop about an hour later every 24 hours (50 minutes on average). That is happening. Note the first big drop was just after 7am EST and today's drop was closer to 10am EST.

I wonder how this is affecting the marine life populations down there. Does anyone know of a record water temp low in recent history and how it affected the wildlife?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom