Wild water temps on Molasses Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how this is affecting the marine life populations down there. Does anyone know of a record water temp low in recent history and how it affected the wildlife?[/QU

There have been numerous fish kills and distressed turtles

the water temp recorded on sunday and monday @ lonf1(florida bay off long key) of 46.5F shattered the previous record of 54F. i heard again today of additional fish kills throught the keys(bayside) (this time tropicals: parrot fish, angelfish, various puffers, porkfish and barracudas). iv'e heard of no fish kills oceanside and the duane had 70F this morning from an ocean divers boat(the spiegel was also 70-71F), not unusually cold. viz has been 50-60ft on the wrecks and molasses. keywest broke a record dating from the 1870's of 6 consecutive daily highs 50F or cooler this past week and came within 1F of breaking it's alltime record low of 41F on sunday morning. on the plus side iv'e heard of hammerhead shark sightings and sailfish congregating on the outer dropoffs, hitting schools of baitfish driven south. i talked on monday to a charter captain who spotted 2 sailfish in 30ft of water just south of firecoral caves @ molasses!! heading out tomorrow or friday!! here's more,,,,,,

www.keysnet.com/212/story/177619.html

www.keysnet.com/news/story/177632.html

reefman
key largo

Greetings fellow divers guess we picked a good time to head south? I sure hope that the weather gets back to normal for the marine and local animals. It has been really unpleasant here in IN but nothing like you have endured this last week. My relatives are north of Orlando and cold for sure.
We are going to be down on Jan. 23-25 for some warm water? Well we are bringing dry suits anyway so I guess it will be warm regardless. Should I through my 7mm in?
We will be staying in Fort Myers any ideas for must dive sites?
Hope all are warming up and safe. We have been getting reports of C02 accidents from the south in general.
See you soon,
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'm hearing the water temps in Venice are in the high 40s so unless you came to Florida to dive in that, your best bet is to head to the east coast.

Fort Lauderdale/Pompano is 2 hours away, Boynton Beach is 2.5, and Key Largo is about 3 hours.

Until things equilibrate, deeper = warmer.

i can't believe I'm contemplating bringing my 7mm to Pompano...

and I didn't want to take my class in florida because I wanted more local conditions... who would have thought I could?!

2x post sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom