Wildcard survives the tiger shark encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If any of you Maui types bump into Jim Sarner -- I understand he's a volunteer there at the aquarium -- tell him Roger Oakey, Seabury Hall class of '75 says hi!

Roak

My brother and his daughter did a shark dive at an aquarium in Aus. as uncertified divers. Gave them a ton of weight and sunk them to the bottom where they were instructed to stay put... and keep their hands close to their body. I wondered about the liability of these types of dives, but they must know their sharks behaviour well or I'm sure they wouldn't risk a diver getting torn apart!... in front of the viewing public!
The dive sounds fascinating, but I can't afford it either (hey that's a good excuse... hehe.. ok... I have seen sharks on dives... but not tigers!)
hey if anyone wants a free dive they can do so at the Vancouver aquarium... catch is... it's for volunteer tank cleaning... and they remove the marine life... ok... so not quite so thrilling I suppose! LOL

They show you a video and talk with you a little. My first dive covered more safety stuff but since it was my second and I guess we looked like we knew what we were doing, we just went. Just don't grab the sharks. They will whip around and bite. There is always a risk but it's pretty safe. The tiger was getting real aggressive at the end while we were getting out. My GF was screwing around with her fins and I was trying to keep my back to the wall and push her out of the water at the same time. We were in her swiming spot and she wanted us out. I was the only one that was watching this part and it did get a little hairy.

Wildcard:
The tiger was getting real aggressive at the end while we were getting out. My GF was screwing around with her fins and I was trying to keep my back to the wall and push her out of the water at the same time. We were in her swiming spot and she wanted us out. I was the only one that was watching this part and it did get a little hairy.

That's interesting. I wonder what happens if things really start going south quickly. I don't suppose there are any safety divers in the tank also - there's just staff outside?

Of course, if I were ever to do this, I'd probably be poised right at the exit ready to make a hasty retreat, so no worries about me dawdling along when the shark starts getting agitated.

You have a curator in the tank as well as a safety observer outside. The exit is where the problem happened, the rest of the tank is fine....MAN THAT WAS A RUSH!!!!!!! Can't wait to do it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom