• Neurtal

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Somewhat Disagree

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no 'issue' because....

it's just a poll. I kept it really simple because I'm only curious about what people's general feelings on the subject are. Are we in favor? Are we opposed? Are we neutral? Are we deeply polarized? Do we simply not care and just skip voting.

That's it, that's all... not trying to make a point or argue one way or the other. I'm just curious. That's all.
Except all you are finding is that very few members of SB care to enter this poll. The results so far indicate a relatively large membership of SB, that was involved in the octopus thread, do not care to cast a vote in this poll....many may be unaware of it, many may think the poll will be so obviouly imbalanced that is is crazy to participate, the reasons for it now being ignored by most are many.

In dive sites that are not protected areas but are otherwise special to you, do you feel that the dive community should create and enforce unofficial restrictions that exceed local jurisdictional regulations?

Suggest perhaps. Enforce without a new law? How? We waded through this mental exercise in the BHB thread much of last year. If the area is not protected by law, you will soon sprout new gray hairs at an alarming rate IMO...

---------- Post Merged at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Do you have anything positive left to contribute or are we about to hear stories about your competitive cycling days?

It's just a poll.

One of Dan's legs is probably thicker than your entire torso. :wink:

In dive sites that are not protected areas but are otherwise special to you, do you feel that the dive community should create and enforce unofficial restrictions that exceed local jurisdictional regulations?

The only real issue I have with this wording is the term "enforce" seems to lead the reader to a drastic end IMO. Enforcement by reasonable means, non-violent AND legal manner.....yes.

I did not vote because the poll does not reflect the current issue and does not allow a correct response IMO. In the current case no one attempted to "enforce" an unofficial restriction. No one took the octo away or blocked the truck from leaving the site.

If your poll had an answer stating: "Does someone have the right to work towards protection of certain wildlife in a non sanctuary site" I would then vote yes. As it is, it is like asking the question: "Do you still beat your wife" a.) Yes b.) No

I didn't mean to word it that way. If someone wants to debate better wording and restart a new poll, I'd be for that.

I didn't mean to word it that way. If someone wants to debate better wording and restart a new poll, I'd be for that.

It does not matter if another gets started. Personal Bias will always show through as is shown in this thread.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The Thread has been moved to an appropriate venue for this discussion.

I do not think it should be up to anyone small circle of people to tell the rest of the human race what they can and cannot do.

like the fishermen who is pissed when there are divers on his favorite reef, how pissed would you be if he figured a way to close the reef to diving? (I know not likely, but work with me)

put the shoe on the other foot. I know for Dan it will probably need to be large since he is like, almost a total, like god and all.

To add one more thing on this issue.... I myself do not even like doing macro dives, and personally I can get no enjoyment from diving a site like the BHB...it has no adventure, it has no huge marine life, and it is not fun for me.....I get dragged their by my wife. I have MANY friends that love diving the BHB, and I understand how important this site is to them, and why. I have many friends that spearfish, and I enjoy diving with them when they are spearfishing. None of the people I dive with would ever shoot fish or collect in a petting zoo like the BHB....it is just beneath them, the kind of behavior they would have contempt for. I know a lot of spearfisherman, and I have spearfished with an awful lot of spearfisherman. I really don't know where you find the kind of person/spearfisherman that would want to take fish at a petting zoo.

To add one more thing on this issue.... I myself do not even like doing macro dives, and personally I can get no enjoyment from diving a site like the BHB...it has no adventure, it has no huge marine life, and it is not fun for me.....I get dragged their by my wife. I have MANY friends that love diving the BHB, and I understand how important this site is to them, and why. I have many friends that spearfish, and I enjoy diving with them when they are spearfishing. None of the people I dive with would ever shoot fish or collect in a petting zoo like the BHB....it is just beneath them, the kind of behavior they would have contempt for. I know a lot of spearfisherman, and I have spearfished with an awful lot of spearfisherman. I really don't know where you find the kind of person/spearfisherman that would want to take fish at a petting zoo.

And I don't see that you get no enjoyment from diving BHB having anything to do with this thread or any of the threads related to this incident or the ongoing debate over the BHB, or even the price of tea in China. Responsible spearfishermen, the real spearfishermen, tend to have a "code" of behavior that they adhere to. I believe it is unwritten and enforced within the community. Countless times I've taken divers aside and explained why or why not we do certain things.

Dan, I hope that you are taking note of how this incident has gotten out of hand, possibly screwed some kids life for awhile, gotten a lot of publicity both good and bad, and learn from this. I know that despite your dislike of diving the BHB you've shone a huge desire to protect it. That's wonderful. Consider this incident when dealing with others about BHB. I know that you've advocated "harassment" of divers that do not treat the place that way you and other would like. But I've also know that you've advocated changing the present laws to protect the place.

Besides, this is just a poll. It just gives us some interesting information to consider. I know that some of you will not and do not like that way this poll to tending but get over it. Start your own poll and ask another question.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom