Will drysuit diving suck less soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 4mil compressed neoprene custom drysuit. I've done about 20 dives with it and I still don't like it!

I've had the neck and wrist seals changed to latex so at least I'm not getting soaked any more. I do end up damp after the dive but I've found that the dampness is on the inside of the neoprene and not inside my thermals so my guess is condensation. On really hot days, I'm a little damp from perspiration too. I've asked other drysuit divers with the same suit and they all report the same dampness.

I wear 8lbs more with this suit than with a 7mil wetsuit so I don't think I'm over weighted or at least, not by much. I only put what air I need in my suit to "ease the squeeze" and add a small amount to my back-inflate bc for buoyancy control. I've just started to leave my dump valve open and I think that's the best for me.

My inflator valve leaked the first time I used the suit. One of my dive buddies took it apart and there was neoprene shavings all around the plastic washer thingy (that's the official technical term, right?). Once that was cleaned off, it was fine.

I use ankle weights to fight off floatie-feet but during pool practices I didn't use any. I lost one last time I used them but I didn't notice it was gone until I went to take it off.

While I pretty much loathe having to use the drysuit, I do. I figure that one day (maybe a hundred yrs from now!!) I'll be comfortable with it.

I agree with what pretty much everyone else has said. Do what works for YOU.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Diverlady :)

NurseShark once bubbled...
or is it third...the comment on adding air to the suit. Only do it to release suit squeeze (and just in really small bursts)...do not use it to control bouyancy...that's what you BC is for. For some reason the PADI class stresses that it is too "complicated" to control two different bouyancy devices at once so they encourage using the suit instead of the bc...if you do this your learning curve will be MUCH longer.

Enjoy your suit!

Hallallujua, (boy I butchered that spelling) I dove 4 dives with my new drysuit last weekend and felt like a moron with my bouyancy kills. I can attain perfect zen like bouyancy skills with either my 7mm or 3mm wetsuit, but this drysuit was driving me bonkers. I kept adding air, dumping air, adding air, squeeze, ascent, dump air. I have a wrist vent valve on my drysuit. As far as weighting, If anything, I may be underweighted. I dive 20lbs with my 7mm wetsuit. Im using 26 lbs with my neoprene drysuit and undergarment. I dont use ankle weights, and I never took a dry suit course, I just read the Padi adventures in diving section on drysuits and went from there. Next time, I will put just put enough air in the suit to stop squeeze, and use my bc. Thanks a ton...........

Geoff

As I started this thread, I figured that I would try to end it with my current dry experience. I have done a few dives in the Pacific with my new suit. (I'm from NYC-where I did my dry training) I have used all the advice I had heard here and do thank you all for all your insite and knowlege. Things are working out well for me and my new suit. I asked for everyones opinion as I am off to Alaska soon and wanted to know the best way to dive dry.
To be honest, all the Dry Suit questions seem like a debate over: "who's stronger: Tarzan or Flash Gordon? Meaning that the issues is more of a personal preference than dogmatic result of collective thought. For every "must" there is a "counter must"
That said, I thank yall for the tips and look foreward to finding my own way.
Peace, D

I dive for lobster and scallops in New England. I dive 10-20 times each summer and loved my drysuits until the leaks started. After one-two seasons the trouble began for each suit.

I have owned two DUI drysuits, the TLS 350 and the crushed neoprene/TLS. Both of them have leaked to the point of diving was not fun. I sent back the TLS 350 several times to DUI for repairs and they were unable to completely stop the leaks. They were courteous and efficient in their service and didn't charge me for subsequent repairs but I was loosing the summer so in the meantime I bought another DUI that was more leak resistant with crushed neoprene legs that would be more leak resistant on the rocks of lobster country. Now my new drysuit is leaking and I am looking for a comfortable wetsuit. Hyperstretch maybe?

Just like everything else, it's hard because it's new. Stick with it, focus on the fundamentals, remember not to pee, and you'll be a "badass" again in no time, except you'll be dry.

~W

Back
Top Bottom