Will the construction never end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
The construction, enhancing the sidewalks (some kind of imported stone) - Plantind trees - adding fancy lamps -, has been going on since....something like February or March and stretches over 10 or so blocks. It also wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't started the construction (Adding trees and taking away parking to the entire length of the Ala Wai) on the one of the other three roads that runs thru Waikiki.....the only one that's not being worked on is a one way street....

I guess I could always stay at home :wink:

We have been trying to find this information for weeks! Is the International Market Place demolished yet? Whether it is or not, do you know when the new one will be completed? Is downtown Waikiki a mess? Trying to plan a trip accordingly for next year or so, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

OK, the theater is gone. Don't know what and when they will start building
Lewers is a mess - tearing down buildings on both sides -
The market place is still there - I think they aren't going to tear it down until September or November, somewhere around there. I'll see if I can find some more info for ya.

justleesa:
OK, the theater is gone. Don't know what and when they will start building
Lewers is a mess - tearing down buildings on both sides -
The market place is still there - I think they aren't going to tear it down until September or November, somewhere around there. I'll see if I can find some more info for ya.

Thank you - we mostly want to know when it is set to be completed (the Market place) so we can plan a trip - i tried the Visitors Bureau, etc., no help! Can you find this out? And where will the merchants be while construction is going on?? Thank you so much.

Mary Ellen and Dave (who is a diver)

I just did a google search and found this
On September 10, 2003, the Queen Emma Foundation announced plans for a complete $100-150 million renovation of the area of the current International Market Place. Construction is scheduled to begin in mid-2005 and be completed sometime in 2007. This will allow current vendors time to relocate their businesses. Some, but not all, of the vendors may be invited to return to the new development.

Plans for the renovation call for a low-rise complex which will include retail establishments, an entertainment amphitheater, a hula mound, a kupuna story hearth, and a retention of many of the existing heritage trees including the world famous banyon tree located in the Market Place.

The area will also include an ethnic food pavilion, free-standing restaurants and outdoor carts and kiosks. In addition much of the look that the land had in the days of Queen Emma will be recreated, including a stream which used to run through the property.

The current International Market Place depends on pedestrian traffic and suffers from the lack of parking in Waikiki. The new complex will have over 300 parking spaces, many of which will be located underground.

Even found a picture of what it is going to look like:

international_marketplace.gif

Oh gosh, this plus the construction down at the former Outrigger Reef at Beachwalk? And no more Kaimuki-Kapahulu trolley/bus service? And isn't the Hilton Hawaiian going to have a complete makeover of its lagoon too? Just hope it all goes smoothly and on time....

Speaking of construction, I flew thru HNL yesterday -- the overseas terminal is a bit of
a mess!

Thanks for all your help! I spoke with someone at Queen Emma Foundation and he told me Marketplace will be torn down in last quarter of 2005 and probably will not reopen until sometime in 08!!!! Bummer! He also said some of the kiosks will run business out of old theater location and several other spots there. Thanks again!

News Flash!
Well, they had it in the papers the other day - they won't be remodeling the IMP. Seems that the Queen Emma fund is out of funds and can't pay for the remodeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom