Windley Key, March 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good, I will bring both. I already found your location on Google, you are about 6 miles from where I am staying. Thanks for the help.

Hey Rich,

As for the bottom it's mostly patchy grass and sand flats. Maybe a coral head here and there, but not many. As I mentioned you'd be hard pressed to see anything resembling a wreck from those two sites, as they are mostly covered over with grass, but it might be fun to try and find them. I have the numbers for both if you'd like to try. Would be perfect for an afternoon with your friends in kayaks, as long as the weather is calm.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and we look forward seeing you down this way.

Good Diving,

I could use the numbers for both sites. If it is easy enough for them to get out there with me they would get a kick out of diving the wreck of a spanish galleon even if it is just a pile of rocks. By the time they retell the story a few times I am sure it will be a much bigger deal.

Capt Gary, Do you ever dive by the NOAA Aquarius Lab?

You're in good hands with Conch Republic. You sound like you have your heart set on shore diving and Capt Gary is trying to let you down gently. I'll be more direct. There is no decent shore diving anywhere in the Keys. Close to shore is sand and grass flats, with the very occasional coral outcrop. Although there can be interesting things to see on the flats, you sound like you are coming from a place that typically has poor vis and if you spend time trying to dive from shore you will waste the truly magical things you can enjoy about Keys diving.

My suggestion is that you enjoy the glorious shallow(er) reefs. You can't reach these from shore or in a Kayak. Let a good op like CR take you out. Some of the best reefs are between 15 and 30 feet. However, there are a lot of reefs in 5-15' that are just spectacular for your snorkelling friends. Good old tried and true Molasses reef has very shallow areas and areas down to 30' so snorkelers and scuba divers can both enjoy. There are plenty of other spots as well that CR will know.

For the snorkelers, one of the best (maybe the very best) places is called Carysfort reef, which has a large area of shallow coral next to a light tower, full of fish life. There is wonderful scuba diving there as well, because the reefs drop off to different levels. For that, you would need to go with a Key Largo operation like Quiesence or Silent World. Check around to see who does Carysfort.

At these reef depths, a standard 80 tank will give you an hour of bottom time, maybe more, which might be more than the trip allows. You would be shortchanging yourself with a smaller tank.

By the way, Conch Republic sometimes does a drift dive over deeper reefs (50-60'). I can tell you, that is a real treat, and they are about the only operator I know in the Keys that even does drift diving. If you have the chance to do one, don't pass it up.

guyharrisonphoto, I am trying to find information for two different activities. Scuba diving, but that is just for myself and I believe that is more or less set with Conch Republic. The rest involves people with very little snorkeling experience that I will be sheepherding on this trip. I need to take them on a shore dive or two before I take them out on a boat. They are fine with shallow water and what would be considered bad visibility for the Keys. I have not seen anything about Crayfort Reef yet in my research. How deep is the shallowest part? Do the dive ops you mentioned do a combined snorkel and scuba trip to this location?

If your friends have any experience at all, even just a little, snorkeling the shallow reefs will not be a problem. Most ops will require a safety vest and discourage freediving if your people are inexperienced. So, all they need to know is how to blow out their snorkel, unless they have a dry snorkel which eliminates even that issue. They can practice in the pool where you are staying. Or, if you want, the water is certainly clear enough close to shore to snorkel for a few minutes just to get used to it. I don't think there is a need for practice trips before hitting the reef unless they are really uncomfortable. Near shore vis is usually 20 to 50' unless it has been choppy, which stirs up the bottom. You can see interesting things close to shore, if you are lucky, but the real magic of the Keys is the reefs and that is where all of you want to be. In other words, don't pass up a reef trip to make a "practice" shore dive.

Carysfort has a large area of coral that is between 3 and 10 feet deep near the light tower, and the tower itself has excellent snorkelling, 8-15 feet deep, lots of fish, and sometimes lots of barracuda hanging out. Carysfort is right next to the Gulf Stream, and visibility can typically be 80' plus. Basically crystal clear. A really "bad day" is 30' vis. This is a fine snorkel even for beginners who have vests and are not freediving. As always, conditions need to be good (March can be windy and choppy at times) and the dive operator will let you know if things are right. I am a lifelong scuba diver but I never pass up a chance to snorkel Carysfort when I get it. In other words, it will be a treat for you as well, even if you just snorkel.

At carysfort, there also 15-30 foot areas close by for scuba diving, and a deeper reef at 60 feet. I know for sure that Quiesence will take both snorkelers and divers on the same boat and will go to Carysfort on request, especially if you have several divers together that request it. Quiesence runs 6-pack boats which is really great, and if you have multiple divers that want a particular spot they will accommodate you. I also know that Silent World does Carysfort, but don't know if they take divers and snorkelers together. They probably do, but call them and check. There are also other shops on North Key Largo that might go there.

The reason you don't hear about Carysfort is that it is visited far less often than the other, more southerly reefs. It is a longer run than most of the other reefs, and so many shops do not go there to save fuel. Silent World has a good description of carysfort on its website, more oriented to scuba diving. I believe that people who go there will support my view that it might be the best diving (and especially snorkelling) in Pennekamp Park. That being said, it is hard to go wrong with most of the snorkeling reefs in Pennekamp. Carysfort is a special treat, but certainly not the only game in town. The ops I mentioned go to other reefs that have very shallow areas as well. Also, there is a dive/snorkel concession right in Pennekamp that will take people, even total beginners, snorkelling on some of the closer reefs which are very calm unless the weather is just terrible.

I know this is a lot of information for what would be a single morning's outing, but Carysfort can be worth the effort.

If you are comfortable in boats, another option is to rent a boat for a full day. That way you can hit several reefs and mix up snorkelling and diving. If you are interested in a dive buddy to share the cost, keep in touch with me through the forum, as my wife and I would be glad to join you and I can pilot the boat. We usually do the boat rental thing several times a year. Cost for a 25' center console quality rig that can take 6 people is about $450 to 500 including fuel from 8:00 to 5:00, not bad if split between 2 or 3 groups.

guyharrisonphoto, The boat rental sounds like a good idea when split between 3 couples. Just need a calm day for the rest of my crew. Where else would you like to go after Claysfort? If this trip is going to be geared towards snorkeling I know where I can pickup a 30 or 40 cu/ft tank for myself to check out the deeper areas while the rest snorkel. Do you have GPS numbers for Claysfort?

Hey Rich

Yes the Aquarius habitat is located right off Conch Reef which we dive. Several sites around that reef offer some great dives.

Good Diving,

---
I am here: Google Maps

Tell Capt. Chris and Jason "Jellyman" says hi! Jellyman wears his CR divers tshirt so much it's almost worn out already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom