Windows 8 is not at all like windows 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a new laptop today and it has windows 8 installed. I only have one thing to say about it, I HATE IT.

Anybody else feel the same as I do ?

Jim Breslin

Windows 8 is why I now have an iMac.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

8.1 is SLIGHTLY BETTER... but that's why I set it up for dual boot with Ubuntu 13.10 --- unfortunately i have a few programs that only work with windows or DOS (dosbox works wonders for old programs) :) that and netflix only works well with Windows and not that well in Linux under WINE.

MAC OS X is just Unix with a MAC flavored GUI. Linux is an open-source version of unix (simplified explanation) and avail in 32 or 64bit

there are many applications for windows/mac that can find a similar FREE counterpart in Linux. 2 examples are MS OFFICE & Adobe Photoshop. The counterparts are Libre Office & GIMP. gimp will install on mac os x natively.

Last edited:
I have Windows 8 on my latest laptop. Absolutely hate it. I have Windows 7 on one of my desktops. Fine with it. However almost all my other computers run Win XP for the legacy apps I use that aren't compatible with the newer Microsoft OS's. Oh, and I have a few running Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98 and my oldest laptop still runs on CP/M.

Although Win 8 won't force me into the Apple camp, it may mean I'll never buy another Microsoft OS!

I don't like Windows 8 either but at least it's still windows.. the MAC OS X isn't even really an APPLE OS anyways. It is UNIX kernel with a mac style gui.

I prefer Windows 7 or Linux myself.

Well, if you look at it that way...

Windows is an MS-DOS kernel with a Microsoft GUI. It's not truly an operating system, but merely an operating environment.

My son's new laptop for school has windows 7 and I believe I paid extra for the "downgrade" disc. The W8 disc that came in the box went in the garbage. My wife wasn't so lucky, her Asus has W8 and it does some AGGRAVATING things. Playing videos is just plain nuts as it dumps you in the Xbox room WT****????? And it's not easy to get out of there!!!

Windows 8 is growing on me. It actually works well on this Samsung Ultra Book.

Well, if you look at it that way...

Windows is an MS-DOS kernel with a Microsoft GUI. It's not truly an operating system, but merely an operating environment.

Well.... I actually know more about this than is wise... but what you are saying was true until Windows 3.0. In the intervening time, we're almost 30 years further and Windows isn't what it was in the beginning.

Frankly, Windows 7 is probably the best OS they've ever put on the market. Hating Microsoft is a national pass time but the way I see it Microsoft (and Apple deserves some credit here too) may have pretty much single-handedly created the biggest paradigm shift in the way we work since the invention of writing.

That said, I'm glad Ballmer is going. Since his first day on the job he looked to me to be the albatross that was set to take Microsoft down with him. You could pluck a hobo off of any street corner and they would have more vision and more innate business talent than Ballmer. Steve Ballmer was Bill Gates' first, only, and biggest mistake. Any other blunders Microsofte ever made pale in comparison.

R..

Well.... I actually know more about this than is wise... but what you are saying was true until Windows 3.0. In the intervening time, we're almost 30 years further and Windows isn't what it was in the beginning.

Frankly, Windows 7 is probably the best OS they've ever put on the market. Hating Microsoft is a national pass time but the way I see it Microsoft (and Apple deserves some credit here too) may have pretty much single-handedly created the biggest paradigm shift in the way we work since the invention of writing.

That said, I'm glad Ballmer is going. Since his first day on the job he looked to me to be the albatross that was set to take Microsoft down with him. You could pluck a hobo off of any street corner and they would have more vision and more innate business talent than Ballmer. Steve Ballmer was Bill Gates' first, only, and biggest mistake. Any other blunders Microsofte ever made pale in comparison.

R..

well win95 & w98 still relied on dos for the kernel -- windows XP, 7, 8 were based of the NT kernel.

installl VLC to play movies btw -- works great and can set it as default instead of the blasted "apps"

if you want to check out how Ubuntu linux works & runs on your computer WITHOUT installing it --- download the image and burn it to a DVD or a bootable usb drive. if you're running windows 8 you might need to turn off secure boot. It will make a live DVD which you can boot to and play around with and it won't touch your windows installation. and SubSurface which is a free divelog software that works with most computers will work on windows or Linux (not sure about mac). although it's possible with linux to get the gui to look just like OS X. In fact you can install Ubuntu linux on a MAC :)

actually thinking about the future would be OS X or linux, iphone or android. Be an I-Sheep or an informed, possibly educated user :)
besides ---- LINUX IS FREE :) and runs on quite a bit of hardware out of the box or with some tweaking. Your TIVO DVRs? (possiblly quite a few more) -- they are linux-based.
mythtv/mythbuntu is a flavor of ubuntu linux designed to be used as a dvr -- and allows for multiple units to be used in multiple rooms -- # of tv tuners per unit? as many as you can fit in the box :) and no subscription or rental fees :) well unless you subscribe to netflix, hulu, etc.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 04:26 PM ----------

Windows 8 is growing on me. It actually works well on this Samsung Ultra Book.

it's windows 8 -- it grows like a fungus! and wants to be like android or the iphone OS -- i.e. -- linux/unix

Linux is fine. We run our servers on a mixture of CentOS and Ubuntu. Windows is also fine for what it does. Which is superior? It depends on the job you need to do. In my opinion Linux distros, including Ubuntu make crappy desk top environments. aon the other hand, Windows makes crappy servers. No, not everyone will share my opinion as it appeals to egos to be all for one of all for the other. Me? I use the best tool for the job at hand. Why limit yourself?

I work on computers for a living and have plenty of experience with Windows way back to DOS days, etc. Having just started using Ubuntu Linux, I can confidently say that there is little danger of Windows being replaced by Linux, in it's current state. When Linux is set up and working, everything is great, but if you need anything fixed or even dealing with app package issues, it's a major hassle, beyond the skills and interest of most users. Just finding the answers to questions requires some level of tech geek searching beyond what most users are interested in doing. And to me, Windows 8 is just Win 7 with the metro interface tacked on. Some different things now happen when the same old buttons are pushed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom