Windy Point - Why the Price Increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I was out of the country and then did some diving over at the Dam and only now realized Windy Point increased their price in May from $10 to $15 a day. Considering you can get into Mansfield, Windy Point Public and Tom Hughs for $8 a car load, can anyone explain why Richard increased his fees?

It really turned me off and we left and went to Mansfield. I can say at this point, there is no way I would go back with the other options being so much cheaper.

thanks

Layne

Probably because he knows he can. I have not been out there since the increase, but im willing to bet he is not hurting for people to show up. He is still cheaper than CSSP and I enjoy diving Travis more, so its not big deal to me, just wish it was closer with gas prices the way they are.

My top 5 reasons the price at WP Private jumped 50%:

5. Since May the water temps in the lake have started warming up. Richard probably thinks he has had something to do with this.
4. Richard is now providing complete air fills...NOT!
3. There are more Porta-Potties available to patrons (it is just an illusion that it appears to be less).
2. Sales of Vienna Sausages have dropped to a record low.
1. Richard has finally started charging extra to provide organic showers (lake water instead of hot and cold treated water).

I only go out there now if I'm DMing...and then only because it's free. I'd rather pay $75 for a park pass and use that all summer to get into Bob Wentz and Mansfield Dam for free. The facilities are nicer and the diving is at least as interesting, if not more interesting.

Hello,

I was out of the country and then did some diving over at the Dam and only now realized Windy Point increased their price in May from $10 to $15 a day. Considering you can get into Mansfield, Windy Point Public and Tom Hughs for $8 a car load, can anyone explain why Richard increased his fees?

It really turned me off and we left and went to Mansfield. I can say at this point, there is no way I would go back with the other options being so much cheaper.

thanks

Layne

Agreed. I will have a hard sell to get my students to pay the increase as well since there are other options available. As for 'Knowing he can charge more," I do not think that accurate. Richard is always complaining how sales are down...

Richard is just trying to keep pace with the gasoline price increases... :rofl3:

Hello,

thanks

Layne

Personally I dont mind, I think its worth it, theres more fish and its diver friendly. If I go anywhere else I need to get one tank per dive, at Windy I can get a 5 buck refill and I get the same amount of air as the one I brought with me.

If you camp its 45 bucks from friday until sunday to me thats a good deal. As a "student" still , the confines of WP private give me a false sense of security while providing for some interesting experiences and so I am able to tune my skills at a better pace.

I always forget how valuable my DM card is until I hear about prices and increases in prices. I get in free down there since i am a DM and usually with my husband, the instructor.

Now, I have the motivation of becoming a DM:D

Seriously, a 50% increase is just ridiculous, it'll be Mansfield dam for me. I wonder how much he's charging for a can of soda nowadays, probably $1.50.

Hello,

thanks

Layne

So true Layne, I have spouted my opinion on earlier posts. But 50% price increase for less available porta potties to hang out in the heat is just not doing it for me right now. The summer of 08 has changed my dive plans and Windy point private is just darn too expensive at $45 a weekend to camp and dive in very low visibility.

I believe he is making the same mistake most businesses are in the US. Gas prices up, cut your prices and do volume business to grow. Thats a successful solution.
As with most businesses they are trying to make record profits. But the consumer is cutting back on our own life styles to adjust for the higher prices at the pump and grocery store.

You are so right about our dive location choices at the lake, with significantly reduced rates by using the Parks system. More cost effective and its still the same topography of Lake Travis at most locations you dive. Same heat, same low visibility.

My point during a recession business lowers prices to get more sales and thus drive the revenues up. Too bad they are not doing this at Windy Point private or other businesses in the area.

Part II of the price increase, is what am I getting for the additional money. I saw 1/2 the porta potties available compared to last year. 50% reduction at Windy point bathroom facilities. This means longer hikes to the bathroom to me. Did he provide a shuttle to get my gear to the campsite? No, guess if you are an instructor you can just drive in. For those of us that have to pay extra, I want to know all the amenities that I am receiving for this price increase. So far, I see less amenities and more of the same.

Just my personal opinion and disappointment at the 50% rate increase. I will not be diving there again anytime soon. Too expensive for my budget.

Maybe in the fall or if visibility really improves and some swampers want to camp together.

r,

SO

We can always camp out at Mansfield...nicer facilities too. Why not use them since we're paying for them with our tax dollars anyway? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom