Windy Point - Why the Price Increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh ... too much heat in here. New to the ScubaBoard but not new to boards in general. This seems like most others with people getting worked on a few non-insulting statements made on the fly.

I live close to 620 & 2222 and I'm new to diving. Seems ta me that a short drive so I can be around other divers while I'm out there is a plus. As I dive more often and get to know more people then more options will present I'm sure. Having a 19' bass boat will prolly not hurt that process any.

So anyway y'all stop squablin and enjoy what were here for :D and smile cuz your deity of choice loves you. Probably.

BTW ... HELLO!! to all the other Austin divers.

Welcome, glad to have you in our dive group. For those of us that have spent thousands of dollars at Windy Point Private over the years to support the local dive site was based on the economic factor of the past with no amenities. No heat here, just looking for local alternatives to the old watering hole that has gone pricey.

Can you dive off that bass boat? A lot to see on the lake from a boat that sounds like a great opportunity. :D

See you diving soon, we are heading up North (I am taking vacation) to attend a Texas Swamp divers get together outside Terrell Texas Known as Clear Springs Scuba Park June 21 and 22nd if you can make it you are welcome to join all of us. It is listed as a poll right now titled "Fling".

Feel free to email me at shawntv@austin.rr.com for a lot more details.

r,

SO

Well, I quit going to private last time he wouldn't let me in because I had the pup with me( offered to pay entry for him too) and prices were still $10 then.

If I want to dive along that side I can put in on point at wentz and swim down :wink: Richard only owns the land, not the water.

At $15 per, I will spend that money with Robert at LTS instead, or use my $75 parks pass to dive mansfield, wentz, turkey bend, aransas bend, pace bend, or any other travis county park for free.

And I can bring my pup along to the travis county parks if I want. As far as camping, It is about a 10 min drive max for me to get to either Mansfield or Wentz, so I usually just drive home, costs me less in gas to drive home and back than it does to pay the extra overnight charge if I'm camping.

We can always camp out at Mansfield...nicer facilities too. Why not use them since we're paying for them with our tax dollars anyway? :wink:

I heard somewhere that the county doesn't allow camping at Mansfield anymore. Was that just a nasty rumor?

I heard somewhere that the county doesn't allow camping at Mansfield anymore. Was that just a nasty rumor?

I believe you just have to make reservations ahead of time, no more just show up and camp. I saw something about it last time I dove out there, but didn't pay alot of attention.

I began diving at WPP in 2000 (I know - a lot of you have been doing it longer). The price to get in was $10. There were 4 porta-potties near the check in point and 3 near the penninsula (I have some old pictures of my first visit).

Now, last weekend when I was there I saw 4 porta-potties near the check in point and 2 near the penninsula. I did not see any lines waiting at either area.

The price is now $15.00.

At that time (2000) gas was about $1.50/gallon - now it is almost $4.00/gallon. I cannot think of a single thing that I use that cost today what it did in 2000.

Mike

Richard told me in March that he was planning to jack the price. He held off until May. The only reason I got from him was that he had not raised the price since 94. Not that that is a good reason to jack the price, however, I'm sure he has seen his property taxes go up a tie or two over the years.

To me, the main benefit of Richards is security for my gear and ease of access. At Wentz and Mansfield, you have to secure your gear in your vehicle, which is a short hike at Wentz. At Mansfield, you need to negotiate a few more steps than Barstows. For the money, I'm happy to dive at the public parks, WHEN I get the chance to fun dive.

For instructors, there is one platform at Wentz and a couple of them at Mansfield. Granted, the ones at Mansfield need a little TLC.

Maybe we can all pitch in to add some features to the Mansfield and Wentz parks. Anybody got a turtle sculpture around?

I have talked to Richard about his price increases. He told me that his county taxes have been increasing and he increased the rates to cover his costs. It is also important to remember that in the winter months his park income is practically nill; the summer income has to cover the winter months' expenses also.

I don't know what happened to the new port-a-potties. There were 7 sparkly new potties out there in May and this weekend they were replaced by the old kind, minus one (the pink one is gone). I have no idea what happened, didn't get a chance to ask.

He does sell an annual pass for $200.00. If you go to the park more than once a month then buying his pass would be your best financial resolution.

Maybe because the deal to sell the place for Mega Millions fell through?

He's a business,his aim is to make money. If people pay $15 then he might as well charge that much.

Personally I have the LCRA pass. If I want to Dive Barstows then its only a short surface swim from Windy Point.

If you squeeze 5 divers into a truck they could either go to Barstows for one day or any of the LCRA parks for 365 days !!!!!

Welcome, glad to have you in our dive group.

Can you dive off that bass boat? A lot to see on the lake from a boat that sounds like a great opportunity. :D
Thanks for the welcome Shawn. I'm really looking forward to logging some dives in Travis and I'm told that with a sturdy ladder a bass boat will do the job. Course, I'mma noob so I'll be learning by the braille method.

See you diving soon, we are heading up North ... "Fling".

Feel free to email me at shawntv@austin.rr.com for a lot more details.

r,

SO
I'm out of the country 'til after the end of the month so I'll miss all the socials for June, but July is a sure thing. I need a lot of advice on gear to buy, where to use it, and who (lol ... and who NOT) to use it with. After it's been serviced, I should have the boat on the water by mid July or so. Look forward to diving with ya.

Everyone is feeling the pinch of the dollar. I actually strapped all my post office stuff ( my Ebay sales) onto my motorcycle today instead of taking the truck. Now if I could just figure out how to strap my scuba tank on back I would really be saving!!! :rofl3: Anyway. I have always felt $20 was a little excessive at CSSP, but then I started looking around at the roads, the pavilions, the new showers, camping area, undewater platforms, docks, clean potties, and I don't complain as much as I used to. I don't pay out there either when I am assisting a class, but I do pay when I am just fun diving. It's all about supporting the park. It's just about the only decent place we have in this neck of the woods. BUT, since this is a thread about Travis, there are several places to dive at Travis other then WP Private. I have never dove Mansfield Dam. It seems like every picture I have ever seen the water was really low and there was quite a walk over rocks to get to the water. AM I way off on that assessment? Anyone have any topside pics of the Dam area? We bought a boat this year so Travis, Possum Kingdom, Murray, are all places I am looking forward to diving with no restrictions. Have flag will travel. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom