Wing Baggage Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barry123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have booked some local flights with Wing Air. Checked baggage max of 10 Kg per person. My dive gear is somewhere around 25 Kg. What should I expect at the airport?. How firm are they on this, or are there slack on sport gear? I sometimes thing I should wear my BCD and say it's my coat and my reg goes in my carry on

Put your reg, batteries, computer, whatever else is small and heavy in a reg bag. Mine is 5-6 Kg full and it's small enough that they pay no attention to it in my hand. That leaves my carry-on for other heavy items, camera, dive light, etc, plus mask, swimsuit, and part of your clothes. My carry-on runs about 13 Kg. My big bag is now much, much lighter. And when you walk up to the check-in counter, swing your carry-on over one shouder like it's stuffed with a big pillow.

i'm not sure about Wings but other budget domestic carriers are very strict with checked baggage. It's only about IDR20,000 (less than US$2) per kilo. That should not break the bank despite the thickness of the required wad of money.

+1 they tend to be strict.

Always check online to see if you get additional kilos cheaper by prebooking them. Sometimes the cost at the airport is just stupid, but online it's next to nothing. Better to have to much and not use it.

WingsAir is a subsidiary of LionAir and likewise tend to be strict on check in luggage overweight, raising mild charges (anything from 90cts to 2USD per kilo depending on the flight) you will pay at a different airport counter. It's this part which is really a pain in the neck, since it's a first achievement to hand the form to the clerk needing you to knock off a few people early morning, that step sucessful it'll take them years to calculate the correct amount due, especially if you're checking in for a flight combination (with LionAir for instance).
Their ATR flights usually allow 15kgs check in luggage.

That said I've never seen any restrictions actually applied with carry on luggage, that is why you'll see local families with loads of packed boxes or luggage trying to slip them unsucessfully into the overhead compartments. One word of advice is try to get onboard with the first passengers, otherwise you won't have any space left for your own carry on luggage.
At check in, just don't show your carry on bag, leave it standing at your foot, if it is really too obviously large, then somebdy will pick it up before you step up the boarding ladder, and your bag will travel on top of the hold. You won't have paid for charges and at least you're sure it's onboard.

My checked bag was overweight on Lion Air but for another $30, I upgraded to Business. That got my checked luggage onboard and me as only passenger in the twelve seats at the front of the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom