Wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even a handful people using a freakin 94lb OMS wing with 200' or so of bungee cord wrapped around it 100 times....

Ah, but think of the benefits.... stranded at sea.... access to helium.... pump her up and fly home instead :D

For the OP, the clue is in the name:

Single Tank Wing - for single tanks.
Double Tank Wing - for double tanks.

The concept of a hybrid single/double tank wings only exists to dupe the naive... who balk at the costs when entering into technical diving. Inevitably, such a short-term decision ends up costing the diver more money, as they're going to replace the hybrid with dedicated single/double tank wings as soon as they gain enough experience to realize the drawbacks.

I still find it funny that retailers peddle hybrid single/double solutions to unsuspecting divers. I had a student last month who was using a brand-new OMS 60lb bungeed doubles wing with single tank. Wasn't happy... vowed never to patronize the shop that 'recommended' it to her. Short-term, deceptive outlook... money wasted, customer lost...

You still have it backwards nimoh haha ...single wing + doubles NOT doubles wing with single tank.

If I put my OMS 40lb singles wing on my doubles I can't get the bolts to reach all the way through my backplate due to the shape of the wing - it doesn't lay flat.

Ah, but think of the benefits.... stranded at sea.... access to helium.... pump her up and fly home instead :D

The concept of a hybrid single/double tank wings only exists to dupe the naive... who balk at the costs when entering into technical diving. Inevitably, such a short-term decision ends up costing the diver more money, as they're going to replace the hybrid with dedicated single/double tank wings as soon as they gain enough experience to realize the drawbacks.

I still find it funny that retailers peddle hybrid single/double solutions to unsuspecting divers. I had a student last month who was using a brand-new OMS 60lb bungeed doubles wing with single tank. Wasn't happy... vowed never to patronize the shop that 'recommended' it to her. Short-term, deceptive outlook... money wasted, customer lost...

and this is why I come asking questions before jumping in and buying anything, thank you!

You still have it backwards nimoh haha ...single wing + doubles NOT doubles wing with single tank.

I don't know how or if I agree that a single wing w/doubles would necessarily bend a wing. As stated above, the opv valve would probably prevent that.

If I put my OMS 40lb singles wing on my doubles I can't get the bolts to reach all the way through my backplate due to the shape of the wing - it doesn't lay flat.

sorry about that, I'm straightened out now :)

The Deco Stop

Read that thread. Its a real thing.

So basically the issue is that because the doubles overlap the narrow wing, when fully inflated, the wing becomes sandwiched between the doubles and the back plate, forcing the plate to be bent?

I'll admit I didn't read that thread on the deco stop entirely, but it seems that the majority of participants were calling BS, and I got the impression the store owner replaced the back plate more out of embarrassment for selling them the wrong wing, rather than because they agreed that the wing bent the plate.

---------- Post Merged at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:01 PM ----------

I think a discussion of how much wing volume and helium in the mix needed in order to fly, probably warrants a new thread :)

The people calling BS were the ones who didn't test it. The guys that did realized that "hey, I guess you can bend a plate with a single wing. That sucks, because now I have a bent plate." You should read the thread.

Even Tobin said that a plate can in fact be bent by a single tank wing on doubles.

Reactions: Tug
So basically the issue is that because the doubles overlap the narrow wing, when fully inflated, the wing becomes sandwiched between the doubles and the back plate, forcing the plate to be bent?

I'll admit I didn't read that thread on the deco stop entirely, but it seems that the majority of participants were calling BS, and I got the impression the store owner replaced the back plate more out of embarrassment for selling them the wrong wing, rather than because they agreed that the wing bent the plate.

pictures don't lie

Holy ****! I just bent a SS Halcyon BP with an oxycheq 35lb wing.
OK so I had to try this for myself and guess what? The Halcyon moved quite dramatically. Unfortunately I did the initial experiment before I took any pictures and there was about 1/2" permanent deformation of the BP. There is still some springiness to it but it is definately bent.
I tried the same experiement with my diverite and there was no permanent deformation and the think only bent about 1/8"
Halcyon uninflated wing
IMG_0024.jpg

Halcyon inflated wing
IMG_0025.jpg

Diverite Uninflated wing
IMG_0027.jpg

Who woulda thought.

The shop owner on the Deco Stop thread never did post the comparative pics though.

Last edited:
wow, I never would have guessed that this was possible.

I apologize for being reluctant to accept your word on it, but it seemed sort of ridiculous to me that a wing could bend a stainless steel plate (but not to the point where I was willing to risk my own plate through independent testing).

Thanks for posting that link to that other thread, and for the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom