Wing size???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good info....and the consensus is??? Lean Diver, 100Hp Steel, 7mm wetsuit. Diving water 55 to 75deg... NC wrecks down to 130. More is better??

frogdrvr:
Lots of good info....and the consensus is??? Lean Diver, 100Hp Steel, 7mm wetsuit. Diving water 55 to 75deg... NC wrecks down to 130. More is better??

Correct is best.

Too much wing is not useful, adds drag, harder to vent etc.

Right sized is best. I'd still suggest testing your wetsuit in the pool. Handy info to have.

Bet you find your suit takes ~ 20lbs to sink it.

Tobin

Really, the 30 and 40 are so close in size it makes almost no difference. Even the guys at Extreme Exposure recommended the 40 over the 30 since their footprint is nearly identical...

Mark

The 40 always looks massive to me compared to the 30.

Here are a couple of photos of the 40 and 30 for comparison. The first is the 30 on top of the 40 (you have to look closely to see the 40) the second is a side by side.

Mark

mer:
The 40 always looks massive to me compared to the 30.

mweitz:
Here are a couple of photos of the 40 and 30 for comparison. The first is the 30 on top of the 40 (you have to look closely to see the 40) the second is a side by side.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Under what conditions / equipment / etc would you find the 40lb wing neccessary, and the 30 lb wing inadequate?

Tobin

Tobin,

The 40 will cover you in most single tank conditions. The 30 may not cover you for some cold water diving depending on your size, your exposure protection etc. For the small size difference I would rather have the 40. I can also loan it to any buddy and it will work in a pinch.

Mark

cool_hardware52:
Hi Mark,

Under what conditions / equipment / etc would you find the 40lb wing neccessary, and the 30 lb wing inadequate?

Tobin

I don't have Eclipses but I have two different sizes of Pioneers. I usually use the 36#er for cold water diving, but tried the 27 for giggles one day. It was fine during the dive and chilling in the rig(PST steel 100, ss BP, drysuit, thick undergarment 400g, all weight on rig, salt water, can light) but was a little dicey floating the rig all by itself.

But up here, I know a lot of people diving the 30 Eclipse and having no problems. What does your local Halcyon dealer say?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom