Wing size???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
RTodd,

I think you and I agree in the most part. Very very few people need a single wing with more than 30 lbs of lift. (This assumes a genuine 30 lbs, some "30" lbs wings we have tested have far less lift)

The conditions where more MIGHT be necessary are cold water, lots of exposure suit, (thick wetsuit or shell DS with thick undies), on a big guy, big tank, etc. In other words a combination of equipment and conditions seen by a small percentage of users.

Please note I didn't say never, just not the norm.

Regards,

Tobin

Maybe, but it would be a rare individual indeed and it would pretty much have to be with a thick wetsuit only. The problem is everyone suddenly thinks they are that exception when they are not. Here is how i would personally deal with it per PMs with mw.

For a single tank cold water ocean dive, I would use the same stainless plate and AL80 I use in the carribean where I use an 18lb wing. Therefore, I could get away with an 18lb wing since all of the other weight would be on a weightbelt and would just be there to offset the suit. If I did this kind of dive regularly I would have some non-ditchable weight to balance things out and would use a 30lb wing. But, I would not want to increase my drag with a 40lb wing just to avoid having a few pounds of ditchable weight. I realize they are close in size, but it is still extra drag for no reason.

An 18lb wing barely gets my mouth out of the water. But, I have used it in calm seas and in 8-10' seas. Your first option is to go on your back. Then, if it is really bad, you can breathe from the reg on the surface. Your reg and gas planning is how you deal with rough seas, not riding super high out of the water. In a drysuit, you have the added option of adding air to your suit on the surface which further reduces the need for extra lift in your wing which is just extra drag.

RTodd:
Maybe, but it would be a rare individual indeed and it would pretty much have to be with a thick wetsuit only. The problem is everyone suddenly thinks they are that exception when they are not. Here is how i would personally deal with it per PMs with mw.

For a single tank cold water ocean dive, I would use the same stainless plate and AL80 I use in the carribean where I use an 18lb wing. Therefore, I could get away with an 18lb wing since all of the other weight would be on a weightbelt and would just be there to offset the suit. If I did this kind of dive regularly I would have some non-ditchable weight to balance things out and would use a 30lb wing. But, I would not want to increase my drag with a 40lb wing just to avoid having a few pounds of ditchable weight. I realize they are close in size, but it is still extra drag for no reason.

An 18lb wing barely gets my mouth out of the water. But, I have used it in calm seas and in 8-10' seas. Your first option is to go on your back. Then, if it is really bad, you can breathe from the reg on the surface. Your reg and gas planning is how you deal with rough seas, not riding super high out of the water. In a drysuit, you have the added option of adding air to your suit on the surface which further reduces the need for extra lift in your wing which is just extra drag.

RTodd,

Believe me I understand when you say everyone thinks they are the exception. This a pervasive problem. Combined with the "some is good, more is better" mentality and you end up with 100 lbs wings.

One issue that I do consider in wing sizing is the effects of a Dry Suit flood. With a shell suit you could be in trouble, with a neo suit less so.

At the risk of telling one more "old timers" story, I started diving when we used NO BC's at all... We started out about neutral at the surface at the star of the dive, and just swam it down 'till we were a little negative. At the end of the dive we were positive on the surface. What a concept.

Now every body needs the goodyear blimp!

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom