Wings and integrated weight BC's - Are they dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my integrated weight system.

I love my toyota ute but I understand the bloody thing could kill me!

I dive a fully integrated BC also. I do so in cold water with a two-piece 7mm suit. In freshwater where I normally dive I need 22# of weight. Right now my rig is 100% integrated. I tried using a belt plus the BC but found that the BC did not fit very well with a belt around my waist.

For me the set-up isn't ideal but it works for me. The location where I dive this setup is a open fresh water lake with no reason one would ever have to doff a rig at depth. In the unlikely scenario that a reason came up I have drilled in the pool how to remove the rig without being separated from it and feel comfortable I could do it if needed.

Eventually when my wallet recovers I would like a BP/w set-up but I would also like a dry suit and a lot of other gear.

I think as others have mentioned if you are going to use a fully integrated weight system like I do currently to know the limitations and the risks and drill and practice so you can function with your gear set-up safely.

Of course, the obvious solution is to completely vent the victim's BC and control the ascent with just the rescuer's BC.
Richard
If you dropped the diver on the way up, they'd sink. Not exactly an effective rescue. If possible (ie the diver has air in their cylinder) I'd think it was better for the rescuer to dump their own air and to use the casualties BC to control the ascent, if you lose them they'll still ascend and you can always adjust your own buoyancy.

btw integrated

Of course, the obvious solution is to completely vent the victim's BC and control the ascent with just the rescuer's BC. That might actually work if the rescuer's BC has enough lift and the rescuer is strong enough to hold onto the victim. Probably not... Remember, the victim's BC was probably supplying close to 30# of lift just to stay neutral!

I don't think I was actually recommending that approach. If the victim's BC is supplying 30# of lift and the rescuer's BC is only capable of 30# and the rescuer needs 30# of lift, you just can't vent the victim's BC. You actually have to try to control both BCs on ascent.

I think I was trying to point out that the rescuer better be able to vent both BCs while maintaining control of the (unresponsive) victim.

The thing with most rescue classes is that they deal with recovering an unresponsive diver from shallow depths. Perhaps 20' or so. I think it is much more difficult to do this from great depth, not only because of the greater change in buoyancy but also because of the difficulty of maintaining a reasonable ascent rate. Three minutes is a long time for the victim while you try to control a 30 fpm ascent. I might be inclined to double that to 60 fpm but a minute and a half is STILL a long time.

This whole rescue thing is just grim. I hope to never become involved in such a thing because I think it talks a lot easier than it swims.

Richard

The thing with most rescue classes is that they deal with recovering an unresponsive diver from shallow depths. Perhaps 20' or so. I think it is much more difficult to do this from great depth, not only because of the greater change in buoyancy but also because of the difficulty of maintaining a reasonable ascent rate. Three minutes is a long time for the victim while you try to control a 30 fpm ascent. I might be inclined to double that to 60 fpm but a minute and a half is STILL a long time.

This whole rescue thing is just grim. I hope to never become involved in such a thing because I think it talks a lot easier than it swims.

Richard

Richard - I agree the problem with an unconcious diver is difficult whenever I have thought about it. Getting them up from say 30m (100ft) isnt an easy thing to do then how the hell do you get them in the boat if its your buddy and just the 2 of you.

I think the earlier poster who has spent a fair amount of time training for rescue would struggle trying to get an unconcious buddy back in a boat.

I think the earlier poster who has spent a fair amount of time training for rescue would struggle trying to get an unconcious buddy back in a boat.[/QUOTE]

Yes ardy, I would/do.......I have managed to get a 75kg guy into a boat using a ladder with them on my back more than once but that is my limit when climbing a ladder unassisted.

What I was shown were other methods such as using a rope around the upper torso, this is good when two people are available.

I would not like to be in a situation in a dingy with only the victim and myself.
I would have to wait and see what I could do with the resources available to me and where I was situated at the time.

But please do not think I have never thought of this, I have, surprise surprise.
When I owned my own boat which was a 33ft bay cruiser, I had a winch placed on an elevated position on the stern. This works well. Unfortuately I no longer have that boat, but would consider having that setup again on any further boat purchase.

I have also considered inventing a sling which would open on the side of dinghy or rib. this would then fold up through a pully system and should be able to support someone's body weight. Of course there would have to be counterweights. Not the nicest or gentlest methods but frankly, you do what you have to do.

Marinediva - I wasnt trying to question your training but just pointing out how difficult the whole area of rescue is.

Let's hope I don't have to do one.

Back
Top Bottom