Wish I could find a mask that fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Atomic Frameless leaks for me, too. It seemed to fit fine in the store. I bought it to replace a cheap Tusa mask that I had been using for the past 15 years or so since I was certified, even thought that mask did not leak. My theory is that the Atomic Frameless and perhaps other low-volume high-end masks are less tolerant of facial movements. I have discovered that I tend to subsconsciously make facial expressions when I see something cool underwater. "Holy cow, did you see that!"--that sort of expression. Making an effort to keep calm and not make facial expressions has helped, but the cheap old mask still leaked less. I think it just had a really wide skirt and high volume--it was a relative monster of a glob of silicone--and was somehow more tolerant of my facial muscles moving.

I knew someone who told me he had had the same problem. He bought mask after mask, and all of them leaked while diving. He swore he wasn't doing anything during the dive to make it happen. Eventually he realized he was doing something during the dive to make ti happen. Once he learned to stop moving his facial muscles and maintain a poker face throughout the dive, he realized that every one of the masks he had purchased worked just fine.

I appreciate all the replies.
Just for clarification of a couple of points-

-I tried the mask with a regulator in my mouth before purchase.
-I tried both sizes of Atomic Frameless and bought the medium
-I don't keep the mask very tight
-I may smile and make facial expressions while diving, not too sure
-I must have an odd shaped face

I'll look at some of the suggestions in this thread...thanks for the help all!

Heat one of your ten masks in the sun for 15mins and then wear it for a few minutes in an air-con room (even better if you have a walk-in freezer).

One of the problems is the "sniff test". If you suck in hard enough, you can make almost ANY mask seal, but that doesn't work once you get in the water. I have my students put a mask on, hold their breath, and gently push on the mask enough to squeeze just a little air out of it. Then release it and see if it will stick to your face. If it does, it's at least very close to a good fit. If it doesn't, the mask doesn't fit.

I have what almost amounts to a mask obsession. Every dive shop I go into, anywhere, I wander around and try on all the masks they have on the shelves. Most of them would leak for me underwater, but I found my current mask that way, and it doesn't leak a drop.

I also have to say that I have found snorkels to be great at dragging at the mask and making it leak. The mask I use for teaching in the pool (the only time I wear a snorkel) doesn't leak if I take the snorkel off it, but leaks like a sieve with the snorkel on.

I have been through about 10 masks, all of which have fit in the store, and all of which have leaked badly while diving.

While diving, I try really hard not to wiggle my facial muscles and break any seal that exists. I shave, and have no facial hair. I do the sniff test with a regulator in my mouth in the store, and all have seemed to fit. I have been "fitted" by several different shop employees with a lot of experience, to no avail.

My current mask is an Atomic Frameless. Leaks badly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Welcome to my world. I have six masks and they all leak badly. They all seem to fit above water, but once I go under, they start to leak quite a bit. I've tried American made masks, Asian made masks (that supposedly fit Asian faces), blah, blah, blah.

At this point, I just clear the masks a lot.

So all the masks you refering to are Atomic Frameless? How about other brands?

I appreciate all the replies.
Just for clarification of a couple of points-

-I tried the mask with a regulator in my mouth before purchase.
-I tried both sizes of Atomic Frameless and bought the medium
-I don't keep the mask very tight
-I may smile and make facial expressions while diving, not too sure
-I must have an odd shaped face

I'll look at some of the suggestions in this thread...thanks for the help all!

Welcome to my world. I have six masks and they all leak badly. They all seem to fit above water, but once I go under, they start to leak quite a bit. I've tried American made masks, Asian made masks (that supposedly fit Asian faces), blah, blah, blah.

At this point, I just clear the masks a lot.

I always had very leaky masks, which I attributed to having a full beard. However, recently I found that a judicious application of Silicone Grease really helps a lot! In fact, now with two masks that fit me well and Silicone Grease, I don't have very much leakage at all. I bought a 'tub' of it from Leisure Pro for less than $10.

Atomic frameless tent to fit people with narrower face and high nose. If you have a wider falter face, I found oceanic shadow and mare x vision fits pretty well.

So all the masks you refering to are Atomic Frameless? How about other brands?
Many different brands.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

Serious question-
How do I know if I have a thin or fat face?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom