Woman rescued after losing consciousness - Tubbataha Reef, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver who lost consciousness underwater in Palawan rescued
Palawan map

MANILA, Philippines — A woman diver who lost consciousness after her air device failed underwater when she went scuba diving near Tubbataha Reef in Palawan was rescued by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) on Monday, May 23.

In an incident report released Tuesday, the PCG said they responded to the distress call of the female diver onboard MY NARAYANA, which was located in waters off Inagawan, Palawan.

When she was already 15 to 18 meters underwater, the Filipina diver apparently found out that her underwater device malfunctioned and failed to produce compressed air. She eventually lost consciousness, according to the report

The PCG said she was able to gain consciousness after getting CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).

“However, she experienced difficulty breathing, dizziness, and headache,” it also said.

The PCG then brought the diver to the port of Puerto Princesa City, then to the nearest hospital for medical assistance.

Air not fully on? Gunk in the tank?

Air not fully on? Gunk in the tank?
Maybe, or maybe she grabbed a tank not refilled and didn't check. I've had boat hands and buddies turn my tank off and 1/4 on without me noticing, but the problem was apparent much shallower. I try to stress my preferences for my valves to be all the way on so if someone turns mine all the way off, I'll notice immediately. Maybe she kept descending even after noticing, and if so - bad choice. Two suggestions...
  1. If you can't fix a problem below, get to the surface.
  2. When all else fails, dump those weights.
Lung injuries can be treated. Lost of the bottom is not treatable.

I tend to like to always check my own valve by turning all the way off and then all the way on, then checking the gauge while breathing it and then a couple shots of the purge valve to look for bouncing needle. Never so much of a hurry to not check that.

Why do DAndy’s posts always terrify me😵
This forum can be scary, but better to learn from the mishaps of others.

My posts in other forums are less stressful.

I've had boat hands and buddies turn my tank off and 1/4 on without me noticing
When it comes to people touching my equipment, I'm like a tiger protecting it's young. Buddy checks aside, hands off, unless you want to lose them.

Still, it's a good idea to never assume equipment you've walked away from is untouched.

Still, it's a good idea to never assume equipment you've walked away from is untouched.

When I walk away from my rig, I turn the gas off and purge to show 0 on the SPG, so that I have no expectation or indication that I am ready to dive before I make my predive checks again. I learned the hard way, experience kept it from being a more serious event.

Back
Top Bottom