Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not how that works.

I tried to reproduce his dive as best I could on Subsurface. Using the picture of his dive log, him saying that he has about 70 minutes deco, that his stops were at 40,30,20ft and that he stayed at 1.2bars PO2. ( I don't dive CC so this is the first time trying to plan a CC dive though...)

1704102494670.png

I planned a CC dive to 42m(137ft) that took 10 minutes to descend, then he stays there for 45 minutes. Then if he takes 30 minutes to ascend to his first stop. That's the closest profile I could plan to match the picture above. His deco stops are as follows;

GF40/70
40ft(12m) 10 min
30ft(9m) - 12min
20ft(6m) - 47 min
Total deco 69 minutes (he said he had about 70 minutes deco)

GF58/70
40ft(12m) 6 min
30ft(9m) - 11min
20ft(6m) - 50 min
If he wants to use GF high of 70 then latest science would suggest a GF low of 58. This reduces his deepest stop time by 4 minutes and extends his shallow stop by 3

GF37/70
40ft(12m) 11 min
30ft(9m) - 12min
20ft(6m) - 46 min
Woodie said that he likes to pad out his stops for further conservatism by adding 1 minute. The best way that I could represent that was to change the GF low to 37. His total deco was still 69 minutes.

What did I get wrong?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is in a Learning Zone and there are Special Rules that you need to read before responding. Your response must be within those Special Rules or you face a deletion, at a minimum.

If you see someone post that is not within the Special Rules, do not respond to it because your post will also be deleted even if it had something good within it.

Got about half way and in my opinion this is their best video yet.

Shows exactly how inexperienced divers don't deal and cope with DCS. Kind of funny that they don't get it and try to show it as a positive.

Like yeah, I came out from a really nice 3 hour dive bent as a coathanger, could not walk or talk normaly. My teammates knew something was up, so they gave me oxygen and let me sleep it off with no monitoring.
Anyway 12 hours later we figure out i'm really bent.

What they are describing in the video sounds like an IPO (Immersion Pulmonary Oedema). They were on CCRs, breathing air at 40 meters on a working dive, stuck in a restriction in weird positions...

IPO fills your lungs with fluid, so the casualty should sit upright, certainly not lie down.

Worth listening even if you are not a big fan of DiveTalk - Woody had some major symptoms of a medical problem right after surfacing that were definitely not shoulder pain/a bit of a niggle. So they drove to the dive shop, cleaned-up their gear and had a steak and then started thinking - maybe we should see a doctor...?

What surprised me most about the video was how casual they seemed to be about forcing themselves through a really tight restriction. Both of them had problems accessing valves and/or regulators due to being stuck, and both of them were temporarily unable to breathe as a result. Gus even says he thought this might be the end for him. But then afterward they seemed to treat this as no big deal. I'm not a cave or CCR diver, and I feel like I'm missing something here.

Woody had some major symptoms of a medical problem right after surfacing that were definitely not shoulder pain/a bit of a niggle. So they drove to the dive shop, cleaned-up their gear and had a steak and then started thinking - maybe we should see a doctor...?

This was the other thing that totally stumped me. Brian Kakuk is a very experienced cave/CCR diver too. It felt like watching teenagers in a “Friday the 13th” movie — walking right into where you know Jason is.

Got about half way and in my opinion this is their best video yet.

Shows exactly how inexperienced divers don't deal and cope with DCS. Kind of funny that they don't get it and try to show it as a positive.

Like yeah, I came out from a really nice 3 hour dive bent as a coathanger, could not walk or talk normaly. My teammates knew something was up, so they gave me oxygen and let me sleep it off with no monitoring.
Anyway 12 hours later we figure out i'm really bent.
I was also wondering the same why did it take so long for them to act. The whole part how they started eating stakes while woody was on O2 that entire time, plus not being able to take off his gear beforehand, plus being out of it, gasping for a breath right after the dive...

What surprised me most about the video was how casual they seemed to be about forcing themselves through a really tight restriction. Both of them had problems accessing valves and/or regulators due to being stuck, and both of them were temporarily unable to breathe as a result. They seemed to treat this as no big deal. I'm not a cave or CCR diver, and I feel like I'm missing something here.
Reminded me also of the fatality of the DAN employee in Florida on SW who got stuck and died and his inexperience diving tight restrictions appears to have played a major part in that fatality

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom