Wool-lined Pinnacle wetsuits??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkyspelunker:
I'm mildly allergic to neoprene so I'm looking for a suit with some kind of barrier between my skin and the neoprene, so wouldn't one of these suits provide just as much warmth as a regular (same thickness) neoprene suit but keep my skin away from the neoprene?

I skimmed over the arguments about insulating properties, etc so I'm not getting into that... BUT I can tell you this. The suit is comfortable for my husband and he is NOT the most enthusiastic diver. That was an endorsement enough for me and so I tried one myself. I like the suit. It is soft, comfortable, easy to put on and keeps me warm in So Cal's temperate (cool) water.

It seems that wool COULD help with your neoprene allergy, but the suit is not completely lined.... just the torso. Does that make a difference to you?

funkyspelunker:
ok, I think you guys convinced me that this whole wool thing is hogwash. But is the wool necessarily worse than having no liner at all? I'm mildly allergic to neoprene so I'm looking for a suit with some kind of barrier between my skin and the neoprene, so wouldn't one of these suits provide just as much warmth as a regular (same thickness) neoprene suit but keep my skin away from the neoprene?

I think that's a fine idea.

Wool sweaters are generally rag wool and definitely not merino wool. Go grab a pair of SmartWool hiking socks. They're continuous filament, softer than cotton, and extremely non-prickly.

Simply put, with merino wool, you don't get the pricklies.

so where do I buy/try on one of these pinnacle suits? I checked their site and they listed my LDS as a dealer, I asked the LDS and they said they're not a dealer! Do you know of any online stores? Also, the pinnacle site doesn't have any sizing charts!

You could buy a dive skin to wear under the suit. You get to re-use this when your gonig a wussy warm water trip too.

I dont think the wool lined suit is going to hurt anything, except your pocketbook.

Mind you for the price, you most of the way to a nice warm cozzy drysuit. Or all the way if you buy a used suit.

I have the Polar and Love it. It is warm and comfortable and easy to get into. And when I filled it with hot water before jumping into the water in Maine it stayed warmer longer. For the redcord I'm no expert on the physics of wet suits, you guys seem to have that position wrapped up. I just dive it and it works.

Back
Top Bottom