Work in the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha so your saying I have a chance. No, I completely agree with the reasons you mentioned. I would not want someone who was not qualified to bring me into water I dont know about. Thank you for your input. I may see you down there anyways. I think I could do the bar scene, I am curently a bar tender in Arizona. That may work!

Just curious, how long does it take to get your Divemaster liscense? And can I do it at a dive shop even though I'm not close to the ocean?

Caymanian Citizenship is out of the question. Forget about it. You also definitely will not be hired to guide dives.

As for the rest, I don't see things as being so bleak.

There are tons of jobs in Cayman that require little or no formal qualifications. Yes, there is a Caymanians-first requirement, but many service sector (and other lower paying) jobs do not attract a sufficient number of Caymanian applicants.

You could apply for any of a number of jobs working on snorkel boats. There are jobs as boat crew and positions are available shooting video (though some operations may require at least AOW for shooting video) with many operators. Many of these are doing trips to Stingray City - posible 2 or 3 times per day.

Other companies hire beach attendants. These positions do not require much specialized skill, and some of these companies also have dive operations. That may come with free diving (and maybe even some additional instruction) on your day(s) off. Check out Red Sail Sports, one of the largest watersports companies in Cayman.

Most employers want at least a 6 month commitment. This is the length of the most common temporary work permit. The employer must pay the full cost of the work permit (it's the law), though you may bear the costs of the medical exam and such required for the application.

Hi there- I think it's awesome that you want to travel and work abroad. Don't be discouraged that you're not qualified to do exactly what you want just yet. I noticed that you are graduating in December and I suspect you are eventually going to college to continue your education. Since you obviously want to further your dive education, you may be able to do that in the college environment and earn course credits while you take the AOW, Rescue, and DM courses. Check with a college near you, I know they offer diving in some of the undergraduate colleges here. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak! Good luck and keep high aspirations and an adventurous spirit!

1. you can work on the island as a dive photographer without much more training but you really should be at the very minimum a rescue diver, most are dive masters or instructors,
I know 2-3 people who came as a rescue and did there instructors while here, however there is not much money to be made, they prefer girls (no such thing as anti-sexist laws here)
yes the do have to advertise locally here but there are very few caymanians interested due to low pay. (i think dry bone photography are looking for more people)
2. to become a citizen here you need to have been here 8 years (7 under a work permit) however after 7 years unless you are key personnel they will throw you out (rolled over) so its very hard to become a citizen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom