Working in Oz as Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freesub

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!!!

Could anyone give me a feed-back on working without a valid working permit?

Are there ways around, 'cause I heard that in the diving business things have changed in relation to working permits, is that true? If so what are requirements?

Is it better to look for a job as free lancer (instructor)?

Are there areas with more check by immigration than others?

What average wage should I expect? Is there a difference in case I work without permit?

I realise that the questions are many and thanks a lot to whom may answer even to only one of them.

Enjoy your diving!!!
Freesub

Who I did my IDC with recently got back from working the GBR up around Cairns. It was a 7 day a week operation during the peak tourist season and he was earning $500 Aus nett per week as well as food and accomodation. As an hourly rate, not too great as you pull long hours but a good lifestyle for a young fella. It all depends on the operator as to pay. The smaller operators wil pay less.
As to working, some countries have international agreements to allow other nationalities to work in the country. I suggest you contact the local Aussie embassy or your own countries foreign affairs dept for that information. NZ and Oz have similiar rules and regulations. You wouldn't be allowed to legally work as a freelancer there or here unless you met all the regulations as a new business, including all the relevent tax and occupational health and safety laws, both state and federal, as well as there being a national dive council which regulates nationally and with with agencies like Padi, register with South Pacific and Asian regional dive office so you can get coverage for insurance.
I suggest you start emailing dive operations in Australia and inquire as to job vacancies for when you will be there. The instructor population is very fluid with many staying for one season and moving on, so there are always openings.
My friend just flew over and got a job by walking into the shop and asking for one. But he's a kiwi and kiwis and Aussies can work in each others countries with no regulations other than registering for taxes.
No accredited company will hire someone who doesn't meet the regulations.
One point on working illegally. You will have no protection from being ripped off, no medical coverage and no operation instructor insurance will cover you. Anything goes wrong and you can get in serious trouble. I've experienced this first hand where I was ripped off by $12,000 by my employer in Korea. It's just not worth it.
It's not hard to do it properly and unless you have a criminal record, you should have no problems getting permission to work. Short term workers can also claim back GST taxes after they leave as well.

Listen to the voice of experience and do it right.

Gasman

Back
Top Bottom