working in the Cayman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is my situation. It looks like my fiance's company has a job coming up in the Cayman's. If they ask him to go, we still have to find out the particulars, (when exactly, for how long, what expenses would be covered). I understand the Cayman's are a very expensive place to live? If the opportunity looks feasible, he's not going without me! I'm a PADI OWSI and I'd love the chance to teach in the Cayman's. I have loads of vacation time I could take, plus I'm quite sure I could take a leave of absence.
For those who have lived and worked in the dive industry in the Caymans, how difficult do you think it for a Canadian female who is a new instructor to find work there? I looked at the PADI employment board and found nothing, but I think I would just contact every dive shop I could. I've worked extensively with classes, (here at home in the cold waters of Vancouver), as a divemaster/AI for over 2 years, and now as an instructor. So I'm not a complete new comer to the industry. Do you think it might be difficult to find a job in the off season, summer months? Are most dive shops looking for a long term commitment, or are shorter, seasonal positions common?
I just thought I would do a little research so we'd be better prepared to make a decision... just in case...

DiverDebbie:
...I understand the Cayman's are a very expensive place to live?
You heard that right! You'll get about 70 cents Cayman for every $CDN. Prices are high, and everything is imported. But, no income tax!!!!

DiverDebbie:
For those who have lived and worked in the dive industry in the Caymans, how difficult do you think it for a Canadian female who is a new instructor to find work there?
Been there. Done that. Have a closet full of sun-faded t-shirts.

It shouldn't be too hard. You have some experience, so you are well ahead of many new instructors that do come here. It is always easier for female instructors to find work, IMHO.

DiverDebbie:
Do you think it might be difficult to find a job in the off season, summer months?
Timing may be an issue as we are just heading into low season.

DiverDebbie:
Are most dive shops looking for a long term commitment, or are shorter, seasonal positions common?
Diving is a year round business. Most shops hire for year round employees. Regular work permits are in one year increments, but six month temporary permits are a common way to start. In diving, a one year commitment is a long term commitment.

Check with Nancy at Divetech. She is the owner, and she and a number of the staff are Canadians who have lived and worked there for a long time.

A few quick points:

I am also from Vancouver. Very roughly, things cost the same here in CI$ that they would cost in Van. in CAD$. A few things, such as electricity, are much higher here.

There is a lot of turnover in the dive industry here so I doubt you will have difficulty finding a job.

You will need your own, separate work permit (which your employer will arrange). If you were married, you could be included on your fiance's permit but just being engaged doesn't give you a right to remain here with him.

Because of our "rollover policy", it is unlikely you will be allowed to stay more than 7 years.

You must stay at least 2 years to avoid paying tax in Canada on the income you make here.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and tips.
The job situation there looks encouraging, at least by the start of the high season.
Alex, that's interesting about the cost comparison to Vancouver. I always argue that Vancouver is an expensive place to live. There's no doubt our real estate prices are some of the highest in the world, (and let's not even talk about the price of gas!) but even general cost of living items like food are high here too. So I don't think it would be all that much of a shock. Everyone talked about how expensive Maui is, but honestly, our trips to the grocery store and gas pumps there were lower than they are here.
I hadn't even thought of going on his work permit, to be honest. I figured I'm either there for a short time as a vacation, or there to work, in which case I can get my own permit I'm sure? We're getting married in Jan. in Jamaica, which is factor to consider, as are our cats. We wouldn't take them for just a short spell, but do like the fact there's no quarantine there. Of course there's the serious decrease in my pay getting into instructing full time. A complete lifestyle switch is something we'd both love to do at some point though, and this way we could ease towards it one at a time. We'll have to see when we get more details.
thanks again :)

...oh... I should mention that he is a PADI instructor too, but right now his job is in construction (rather specialized... you wouldn't believe the job they have lined up down there)

no no! Nothing like that! I don't know how much I should say, especially since we don't even know all the details yet... but let's just say it's residential and for someone with just way too much money!

Big houses I can deal with...as long as it isn't Al Gore's :wink:

Just out of curiosity (for those who have lived the island lifestyle) is it what you hoped it would be? I mean I know you still have to make a living but slower paced, less hassle, more relaxation and happiness? I keep dreaming about quitting my job and moving to a place where I can watch the waves while I listen to Bob Marley.....I suppose you still have annoying uptight people to deal with that are on vacation who complain as much as they do here... I just like to dream that it would be bliss...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom