Worldwide Spearfishing Laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a site the lists the local rules throughout the world, or at least for the Caribbean?

I've done a little googling and it really seams to vary greatly. Everything from not on scuba, to no trigger spear guns, to no spearing at all, to no rules at all.

I've never actually have speared before, but it is something I've always wanted to try. I'm a complete newbie, but I do have small a gun aboard my boat. Just wondering if I should dump it for a pole spear, or maybe forget the idea all together to avoid the hassle.

I plan on doing some cruising in the next few, and I've heard some horror stories, that I'd like to avoid. Like someone who had a brand new compressor confiscated by police in the Bahamas, on their way back to shore, just because it was on the same boat as fish they caught while free diving.

You could try Spearboard, Deeper Blue, or Freedive Spearfishing. There's spearos from most places logging onto those sites. You're right, it does vary.
Belize passed a law a few months back that said tourists are not allowed to spear here anymore. Apparently they've changed it because a guy on DeeperBlue said he was just here and had guides take him out down south. He got his gun in through customs no problem and they ran into a Fisheries officer out on the water who said it was allowed.
Try contact the Fisheries Dept of each country if you can't find your answers on the spearing boards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom