Worst Job You Ever Had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Front Desk Clerk at the local Holiday Inn when in college. Totally mis-managed!

When I was 16, I worked in a chemical plant that my weird uncle and his even stranger brother owned. There were some wicked, evil odors in that place. The job didn't last, thankfully, and I escaped to New York City and then Honolulu for decades and never returned home again. The site of that wretched plant is now an EPA Superfund site, the even stranger brother got killed a few years ago in a motorcycle crash at the age of 70-something on his Harley, and my uncle is an absolute dead ringer for Gollum in The Lord of the Rings' movies..

After college, I worked as an autopsy diener. Dieners (German for servant) do all the "non-medical" stuff that doesn't require a physician. Think sewing back up after the modified Rokitansky procedure, digging through stomach and bowel contents, and, basically, whatever the pathologists and residents didn't want to do. My very favorite was washing up the autopsy tables.

Although, come to think of it, my *worst* job ever was that one night I worked as a waiter at Gaido's <shudder>. I was pretty happy mopping up the drips in the roll-in cooler after that.

mdb:
Bob:
I got drafted back in 1970 and wound up spending a year in Vietnam. Not that I minded serving my country, :wflag: I would if called upon again, but it was the worst job I've ever had. I wouldn't want to go through war again. :tree: Bob

Ditto: USMC, RVN '69-'70

While I had some of the best times of my life in the military...and would not trade it for anything..some of the "extra duties" I had were not fun.

1. Post clean up in an impact area with knuckleheads that picked up things like unexploded 155 rounds, 203 rounds...(Things that go BOOM!)
2. Painting asphalt black.
3. Armoraling the tires of a Brigade staffers Hummer. HAHA...a camo vehicle with really shiney tires.
4. Cutting grass with scissors.
5. Oh yeah..last but not least... PeePee watcher for drug tests.

Not near as bad as some of yours...but..

Kenny

As a teenager I worked in a steakhouse washing dishes. That sucked. Grease everywhere and it made my teen acne look like Craters of the Moon National Monument. After high school I worked as a grunt laborer roofing a high school gym in the dead heat of summer. Nothin' like working with boiling tar on a 105 degree day.

kristi hager:
Front Desk Clerk at the local Holiday Inn when in college. Totally mis-managed!

Haha! I did that too, but it wasn't as bad as the ice cream parlor. I guess I got a good hotel. :wink:

I found that sandblasting inside electrical boxes (big ones) to be very dirty. The sand and paint/rust dust gets everywhere.

Worst was maintainence shift supervisor at an aluminum forge. It looked like Dante's Inferno with fire and black smoke everywhere. Nearly everything was hot and there were caustic or toxic chemicals everywhere. The bad part was that management was not concerned about doing anything properly and would never plan anything. On top of that it was in a bad part of Compton, CA. we would hear gunshots every night.

4 summers while in high school working in a hospital laundry. Let your imagination runaway with this one.

Back
Top Bottom