Worth replacing fin straps on fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any suggestions on attaching bungies to fins with posts?

look at the pictures in posts 17 and 18 from this thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/191307-ss-spring-straps.html

You would have to bend the S hook to make it tight around the post and then more on the other end to keep the bungie on.

Or you could use that ring clamp thing. I don't know the correct name of it. They are using steel springs but I don't see why you couldn't use bungie

191307-ss-spring-straps.html
from post 18

I started out using the wire on the fin post, bit didn't feel that they would last that long. I've since switched to ss s-hooks from McMaster-Carr. Here's the finished product:
132_3209.jpg

132_3210.jpg

Then after reading GratefulDiver's post about a spring letting go at depth in Cozumel, I decided to add a zip-tie as an on-board repair kit:

132_3212.jpg
from post 17

My LDS gave me a pair of spring straps to try :D......I told him if they wanted them back they would have to kill me to get them :no:

But seriously they are god sent for us larger divers.... that have a harder time reaching our heals on a tag line waiting to get back on a boat.

Attachments

• StrapArticle-161x270.jpg
    StrapArticle-161x270.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 42
Here's a Manta Ray universal fin strap. Works like a spring strap. I have one coiled up and zip tied to my BC ... very compact little item. I can literally do a repair/replacement during a dive.
I have a couple of those, don't see how it's anything like a spring strap. Just an emergency replacement for a rubber strap.

I got quoted a phenomenal amount of dosh for some spring straps from my local dive store and was told that they're permanent...

What makes rubber straps perish really quickly? I mean, really REALLY quickly

Gnawing on them? :rofl3:

Is that happening to you? Are you pulling on them very hard to tighten them? What brand of fins/straps do you use?

What makes rubber straps perish really quickly? I mean, really REALLY quickly

Smog. Or petroleum products. Storage near a motor or engine (excess ozone, see Smog). Lots of things.

Spring straps are a godsend. But, as with any piece of gear, you need the right size, or you'll be miserable. No matter how nice my wife's Manolo Blahnik's are, they would be hell on my feet.

Back
Top Bottom