Worthington LP77 Steel Cylinder - $189.00 Each - FREE Shipping to 48 U.S. States!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil,clean out your PM inbox.

I asked in another thread and can't find it now. I heard that you send out VIP stickers for new tanks. True or rumor??

Also want to confirm that the Highland bands use 3/8 bolts.

compressor:
Well I don't want to open a can of worms. I don't get it?? The tank is ok for O2 up to 40% but not above? Either the tank is clean of hydrocarbons or it isn't. Obviously I am missing something here. You either wash your hands with soap and remove the dirt or you wash your hands with water and remove some of the dirt.

above in your comments you say "The tank is Ok for O2 up to 40% but not above"

I think the correct way to say that is that the tank is Ok for nitrox blends (not O2) up to 40% (but not above.)

The difference in that statement is that when most people say a bottle of O2, it's often 100% o2.

Also their spec sheet on the tanks says "Cleaned and sealed at the factory".
That doesn't men it's O2 clean. Just clean. O2 clean is a higher level of cleaning.
Now in this case the tank might actually come O2 clean. But I'd find better supporting documentation on it before using it for partial pressure cleaning. I'm sure that the seller here (Phil Ellis) or Lee from Sea Pearls or XS Scuba, who are all on SB can provide the exact answer. However, if you'll notice it says for up to 40%, so that pretty much says it's not O2 clean.

Also if you'll notice the valve says it's compatible for up to 40%, so it's not O2 clean.

The real difference here is if you're putting pre-blended Nitrox that is 40% of less into the tank or parital pressure blending. If your doing PPB, then you're first introducing 100% O2 into the tank then putting O2 clean regular air on top of it and pumping it up to pressure (3000psi or whatever your tank is rated at).

I partial pressure blend my tanks. Are they not ok?

If you partial pressure blend, your tanks should be O2 clean or you run the risk of an O2 fire or even explosion.

Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but anyone at the fill station who's filling your tank or standing around waiting on a fill. A dive shop employee was killed in Florida about 3 years ago when an O2 tank exploded when they dropped it by accident. That should put it in perspective.

BTW.. O2 cleaning means rebuilding the valve with Viton O-Rings and Viton lubricants also...

There are several threads on Scubaboard about O2 cleaning tanks that you will find support this infromation.

I hope all that helps. -Mike

Thank you Mike.
I am aware of the dangers of O2; I was not clear on the tank in question.

I am going to clean the tank and value using Oxy Hackers technique in his book. The I will go with Nitrox.

Is this deal still good at the advertised price of $189 including shipping? I got 2 and love em so much I want to get 2 more

Nope, Phil closed it down a week or so ago.

Carribeandiver:
Is this deal still good at the advertised price of $189 including shipping? I got 2 and love em so much I want to get 2 more

Our regular price on them is still pretty good, but the free shipping went away. We only had a limited number with the free shipping bonus. They went pretty fast. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Just a note on the cylinders being O2 clean. I recently bought a pair of Phil's LP85s. They were shipped directly from XS Scuba (I believe). Regardless, the original hydro was from last month. I O2-cleaned the cylinders myself, and I must say, they were rather nasty. First wash with diluted SG came out nearly black. Definitely do not put 100% O2 into these cylinders until they are cleaned. I used an already O2 clean manifold, so didn't bother with the valves. Great cylinders, though, at a great price.

Back
Top Bottom