Would Sidemount feel more comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not an expert but I have been diving side mount for about 3 years now, after 23 years of back mount diving with about 20 years in back mount doubles.

Comfort depends on the rig - a larger rig like a nomad with doubles, stage, deco bottle, etc is still a lot of stuff, but it's easier than back mount, think that's even more the case with multiple stages.

A smaller rig like a Razor or SMS 50 is very comfortable and with smaller lighter tanks like AL 80s, AL 72s or steel 72s it's a joy to dive - almost like having nothing on at all. I think the learning curve is also a bit less steep with those particular choices and tanks.

-----

I think most of the concern over new divers learning in side mount is the potential for those new divers to confuse diving a side mount configuration with side mount cave diving - and then running off and trying out the new gear and limited skills in a side mount passage somewhere, with fatal results. I think that concern is valid as some people seem prone to doing incredibly stupid stuff, and even cave training does not do much to inoculate the truly stupid.

I was full cave before switching to side mount, but even 3 years and 170 or so dives in caves using a side mount configuration and maybe half that number of dives in side mount passages, I am still taking small steps into progressively tighter and more challenging cave to ensure I don't over reach or over step my ability.

Well said DA progressive diving with conservatism is really what ALL divers need to employ at all levels.
Every SM diver starts from the beginning and progresses into a growing / learning gaining experience along the way.
One thing about SM I have learned is that there are a lot of variances between rigs and applications as well as personal modifications.
With a few issues in the neck / back area SM makes the diving a bit more comfortable for me when it comes to toting gear.

The balance of SM is very nice and more than just two tanks. 3 or 4 easier than one would think.
What I really have come to understand is less is more in some cases as far as size of tanks for SMing.
When I use bigger tanks I burn more gas just pushing them around, when I ease back into 85's trimmed out properly I can hang quite a while and not move with ease.

Have fun with it but train seriously and safely.
Conservatism means many things but it will help to keep us safe if we let it!
Common sense is a valuable resource these days and whatever level you dive at strive to make good choices.
Be honest with yourself skill assessments and train to gain mastery over weak areas or holes in your game.

CamG

I think most of the concern over new divers learning in side mount is the potential for those new divers to confuse diving a side mount configuration with side mount cave diving - and then running off and trying out the new gear and limited skills in a side mount passage somewhere, with fatal results. I think that concern is valid as some people seem prone to doing incredibly stupid stuff, and even cave training does not do much to inoculate the truly stupid.

This is what I see sometimes here. People who barely learned diving a couple of years ago already doing overhead dives penetrating wrecks solo at 140ft in 39F water on air in side mount.

I'm not saying they would not do stupid things on BM it's just they can get into a deeper hole in SM :)

So is all the talk about "beginners" should not be diving sidemount BS or do you need to get to certain point before one should attempt it? I realize everyone's comfort level is a bit different, perhaps trying it out once will answer the question for me.

I would say it depends on the diver and what kind of instruction you have available to you. I took to diving fairly easily. I have been involved in water related sports and activities since I was a small child, so I am pretty comfortable being in the water. My dive buddy is an exceptional diver and has been in sidemount for many years. I am able to greatly benefit from her experience as I transition myself into sidemount.

My 2 cents on the subject. While I agree that SM diving has a lot of merits as the the proponents have already noted (I in fact have gone to SM for cave diving), I'm not so sure that its the most appropriate for newer divers or those that dive infrequently.

The biggest issue is the near endless combinations of rigging your tank, hose routines and lengths. It takes time to settle these out IMHO and you need to do a series of dives and compare the effectiveness and issues (pros/cons) or each set-up. You need patience and opportunity and ideally a mentor.

Jeff

Yah I do think that is the biggest thing about learning, having someone around that you can actual dive with who knows what the are doing and have been doing SM for a while.

Yah I do think that is the biggest thing about learning, having someone around that you can actual dive with who knows what the are doing and have been doing SM for a while.

With <24 dives according to your profile you should really give single tank backmount diving a fair shake before jumping into something new and different.
I'm sure people will jump all over my butt about this, but I would say that as a brand new diver somewhere around 100 dives is a reasonable amount of dives to get yourself squared away in single tank backmount. Good instruction and mentoring can reduce this time. Certainly switching to sidemount (as a brand new diver) will in itself take a number of dives to become competent. Probably more than in a single tank since you don't really know when your skills are just unpolished vs a legitimate gear issue.

Really good divers can dive anything flawlessly.

Back in the day, you generally needed at least 100 dives with 30 or so to/below 100' before being considered for any technical dive training - it's the same basic idea, with the same basic upsides and downsides.

The thing is, if the OP is moving in a direction where side mount makes sense, he just as well start diving side mount now, and be comfortable with it and have a 100 or so dives in that configuration before moving on to technical training. In that regard, the learning curve in side mount may be a little steeper, but on the other hand, 100 dives in a back mount single configuration is largely a waste.

It's a bit like the US Navy moving from piston and jet training, to turbine and jet training, and experimenting in the past with all jet flight training. Working with a single power lever and familiarity with turbines eases the transition to jets. And, experimentally speaking, if the student could make the leap needed to start in jet aircraft, he could get to the same place skill and experience wise as a more traditional track in a lot less total flight time.

So...it may be harder for the OP to move to side mount at less than 24 total dives, but if he can do that successfully, he'll be ahead of the game. And if not, he just goes back to back mount until he's ready to move on, with not much lost in the attempt as he'd buy the SM gear anyway sooner or later.

on the other hand, 100 dives in a back mount single configuration is largely a waste.

Funny I see people in backmount doubles who're struggling with the basics like trim and bouyancy all the time. I tell them to go back to a single tank, work on the basics. Give it 20 dives in their more familar configuration before adding the doubles again. They almost universally agree (after the fact) that pushing into doubles too soon was a PITA that slowed down their learning curve.

Funny I see people in backmount doubles who're struggling with the basics like trim and bouyancy all the time. I tell them to go back to a single tank, work on the basics. Give it 20 dives in their more familar configuration before adding the doubles again. They almost universally agree (after the fact) that pushing into doubles too soon was a PITA that slowed down their learning curve.

I agree as my first foray into doubles bm, was a tough learning curve however, it was a tech course so 3 alu 80s didn't help the situation lol.

Rec SM singles however, is a much easier experience and if properly taught should make sm diving a very viable option.

I'm still trying to figure SM out myself lol!

Back
Top Bottom