Would this work in a rescue situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I was taught and I believe our (i.e. The Finnish) Divers Federation specifies that there should be a separate rope and tender for each diver. ...

Keep that thought! In addition, the rescue diver is fully kitted and ready to assist. He/She is resting on a thermally insulating mat on the surface. (large cheap piece of foamed rubber like they use on shop floors)

A short strap with a carabiner on either end is also useful for finding the compromised diver in a total silt-out while still having use of both hands. And yes, the rescue diver has his/her own line and tender.

A good set of retractable point ice picks (one on each wrist) are great too. Fun to invert, get buoyant, and "spider" across the ice.

For me, recreational ice diving is all about the ice. What is the point of going deep just for a cold dive?

Backboards were removed from my most recent first-aid training because they were causing damage when strapping the non-flat victim onto the flat board.

flots.

Indeed, there has been a movement recently in EMS circles to limit the use of the BB to only those with a significant complaint of neck &/or back pain, or lesser pain combined with a significant m.o.i. ( mechanism of injury ). I've always pitied those folks we boarded as a "precautionary measure" ( driven by our ever-more litigious society, in part ), as they had to remain on that board, often for hours on end, until radiography "cleared" them of any spinal trauma. So now, Medics in many areas are trained to "clear" spinals in the field, thus drastically reducing the use of s.m.r. ( spinal motion restriction ).

Regards,
DSD

A spinal injury in scuba diving would be rare. Most diving emergencies are barotraumas or decompression related. Unless the diver had an uncontrolled ascent straight into the bottom of the boat, not a lot to cause spinal injury.

This thread has numerous examples of egress options and techniques. Which is the best? The one that works in your situation. Practice more than one and be ready to improvise if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom