Would you buy a fishing license just to hunt lionfish?

Would you buy a fishing license just to remove lionfish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I would not purchase a fishing license solely for the purpose of removing lion fish unless I was being paid a bounty per lion fish removed.

I'm one of those who has a real problem with this, too. I contacted FWC about this prior to reading this thread and this is the response I received:

"Thanks for your comments and questions. Lionfish are a big problem in Florida, and I don’t disagree with anything you said.

This question regarding making a license exception for the harvest of lionfish has been brought to the FWC Commission. The Commission subsequently directed staff to investigate the possibility of creating the exception by rule. In that investigation, fisheries management staff and our Division of Law Enforcement determined that this exception would result in law enforcement issues. Also, staff determined that the vast majority of those who would harvest the lionfish are also harvesting other species so a relatively small number of people would benefit from the exception. For these reasons, FWC ultimately chose not to create a special license exception for the harvest of lionfish.

Good luck and thanks for helping to eliminate the lionfish. "

This is one of those issues that can get very complicated, as states have jurisdiction over waters within a few nautical miles from their boundaries. Ideally, the federal government would step in and declare the lionfish a special case threat and specifically unprotect it. Even better yet, since it is our political policy in America to use the tax code to subsidize activities, how about allowing commercial take and no tax on the profits? I don't want to cry "the sky is falling", but the threat these guys pose to an already stress marine ecosystem is woefully understated. Special cases like these demand bold action, and hopefully it comes before the point of no return...if we're not already past it.

I'm one of those who has a real problem with this, too. I contacted FWC about this prior to reading this thread and this is the response I received:

"Thanks for your comments and questions. Lionfish are a big problem in Florida, and I don’t disagree with anything you said.

This question regarding making a license exception for the harvest of lionfish has been brought to the FWC Commission. The Commission subsequently directed staff to investigate the possibility of creating the exception by rule. In that investigation, fisheries management staff and our Division of Law Enforcement determined that this exception would result in law enforcement issues. Also, staff determined that the vast majority of those who would harvest the lionfish are also harvesting other species so a relatively small number of people would benefit from the exception. For these reasons, FWC ultimately chose not to create a special license exception for the harvest of lionfish.

Good luck and thanks for helping to eliminate the lionfish. "

This is one of those issues that can get very complicated, as states have jurisdiction over waters within a few nautical miles from their boundaries. Ideally, the federal government would step in and declare the lionfish a special case threat and specifically unprotect it. Even better yet, since it is our political policy in America to use the tax code to subsidize activities, how about allowing commercial take and no tax on the profits? I don't want to cry "the sky is falling", but the threat these guys pose to an already stress marine ecosystem is woefully understated. Special cases like these demand bold action, and hopefully it comes before the point of no return...if we're not already past it.

Law enforcement issues? I would like to understand what law enforcement issue? If someone lands fish other than lionfish without a liscense then they get a ticket. Is that complicated? IS FWC really gonna jump in the water and bust someone for simply carrying a spear and NOT (yet) landing a fish??

Technically diving with a spear might be considered fishing w/o a liscense.. even if no fish were taken.. but this situation must be extremely unlikley to occcur.

So what value is derived from putting up hinderances to "regular" scuba divers and snorkleers from taking exotic lionfish? The government uses taxes and fees to manipulate and influence peope's behavoir. Taxing or applying a fee to anyone who simply wants to take a lionfish while diving is a very negative message. Conversely, telling people that they can do it for "FREE" would be a somewhat dramatic way to let the public know that this is a big problem.

I think this is a very short sighted (even poor) decision and is most likely intended to increase revenue to the commision at the direct expense of inhibiting the taking of lionfish..

All,
I have really enjoyed reading the responses to this poll. I had a chance to bring this topic up recently at an artificial reef seminar. Since one of the main goals of artificial reefs is to provide habitat to improve recreational fisheries, this was a valid topic. There were representatives at the meeting from Florida FWC along with many scientists and other organizations represented at the meeting. I can't say we got anywhere on the issue, but it does seem that this is not a dead issue in the State of Florisda yet. However, as usual the government wheels on this are going to turn slowly.

Personnally, I am one of those divers that already has a fishing license, so I can't say whether or not I would pay for the priveledge of removing the lionfish from the reefs in our area. I am in northern Florida in a small town east of Panama City, and I saw my first lionfish here last summer. I am sure we will see more and this will become a hot topic here--in fact I saw two on one site this weekend. We didn't have gear on us to kill them so we took pictures and will report.

And yes, although they know they are here, NOAA still wants us to do the reports to REEF.org and the USGS. (If you report to REEF, they will forward it to USGS). This was discussed at the artificial reef workshop when I brought up the lionfish permitting issue.

Carol

I guess the Florida FWC agreed with many of the responses on Scubaboard. There is now a 1-year experimental program in effect to let snorkelers and divers kill lionfish in without a fishing license. You may only carry equipment that is made for killing lionfish such as nets or short paralyzer spears. If you are carrying a 5-foot speargun you better have a license. :) For more info, go to FWC News: FWC increases lionfish harvest opportunities, asks public to help

If it was in an area where lionfish was blacklisted, I definetly would NOT buy a license just to take them as blacklisted species is kill on sight..
Id still obey not using dynamite (bad idea while Im diving anyways) and such though.

There are no SCUBA police, and since I shoot nothing, ever other than lionfish, there's nothing to stop me for. Probable cause is still required, I presume. It's not like I'm carrying a speargun or anything. I use a small hawaiian sling, and it's stored in a pocket except when I'm actually shooting one of the little bastards.

The FWC doesn't need probable cause

There are IMHO only two legitimate reasons to require a license for anything:

1) Indication that required training and testing has been completed, and the individual is qualified.
2) Revenue

A fishing license IMO is a #2. I would not pay a fee to help deal with a problem species. Don't charge me to do you a favour.

YMMV

Just want to chime in and say that realistically the license is only needed if you keep the lion fish you kill. My friends and I dive the reefs down here frequently and have no problems with killing any lion fish we see and just leaving them on the bottom.

Just want to chime in and say that realistically the license is only needed if you keep the lion fish you kill. My friends and I dive the reefs down here frequently and have no problems with killing any lion fish we see and just leaving them on the bottom.

If you have a fishing pole in your hand you are fishing, if you are in the water with a spear/speargun you are spearfishing, whether you catch anything doesn't matter, you need a license.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom