Would you dive alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

Southerncross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lake Travis treasure hunting in 25-40 feet as a single diver,would you do it? Having trouble finding a dive buddy during weekdays.

Others have taken the endless progressive penetration approach to solo. Sure, we can't actually dive solo but we can dive all alone and all by ourselves. :wink:
We make our own decisions for ourselves. The internet should not be our decision-maker...

I have no problem with anyone making the decision on their own self assessment, but shouldn't ask for a total stranger to decide for them.

The biggest problem I see is the summary dismissal of entanglement problems in a lake that is heavily fished and has lots of junk/treasure in it.

The biggest problem I see is the summary dismissal of entanglement problems in a lake that is heavily fished and has lots of junk/treasure in it.
Yes, which is why that was post #2; I agree. Dismissed in post #7, with no reason given.
I suspect it is the single highest risk for this kind of dive.

Thanks again for all the comments. I’m going to take a solo diver class.
It’s one of the better courses I’ve taken. Good on ya for pursuing the class.

As a trained and equipped solo diver, I take advantage of it when I can. There are benefits, as there are with buddy diving also.

The industry standard for years was “no solo diving!” Fortunately the tides are turning on that and it’s beginning to be viewed as something that can be done relatively safely with proper gear and training.

Let us know how it goes!

The industry standard for years was “no solo diving!” Fortunately the tides are turning on that and it’s beginning to be viewed as something that can be done relatively safely with proper gear and training.
In Hawaii last week I was chatting with the kid running a lds. As he grabbed a pair of tanks I told him if my wife wasn't able to drive I'd just drop solo, no biggie. He started repeating "I hear nothing, I hear nothing, I hear nothing" and only quieted down when I told him I dive with a pony and am not new to solo. He was still leary as I filled out the paperwork with my 20 year old OW cert card.

I do solo diving all the time to 30 and 40 feet. I wouldn't worry about it unless the water condition is bad. But have a redundant air supply helps a lot IMO. Just be mindful about your surroundings, diving is 80% mental

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom