Would you dive the Farallones?

Would you dive the Farallones?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drl:
All right, as a landlocked Midwesterner I can ask the stupid question... what's a Landlord encounter in this context?

My guess would be it's a Great White Shark.

I voted no. I'm no where close to being ready for a dive like this. Given the well thought out procedures Chuck has listed, if I had several hundred more dives and a TON more experience with ocean diving in current, I'd certainly do such a dive.

drl:
All right, as a landlocked Midwesterner I can ask the stupid question... what's a Landlord encounter in this context?

GWS, I presume.

K

No chance, no way, not for at least 100 more dives. Even then Id ask if that was enough first, LOL. The thought of seeing a GWS out of a cage scares me and Im sitting at my computer 110 miles from water. Yea, I know, they really would prefer another meal type, Im just not really interested in being tasted yet.

Reactions: KLJ
chuck-
did/do you encounter a lot of entanglement hazard there?. i know there is a lot of fishing out there, and i presume ALOT of line lost on the rocks. also- do you have any pics?!! i see mention of a report, where is it?
thanks!

I voted yes, but I interpreted the question differently than some of you that voted no. It doesn't ask if you'd dive it right now, it just asks if you would. I guessed that he was asking if you'd ever dive it or if you are too worried about the GWS risk to ever dive there. I'm probably a few years worth of experience away from where I'd want to be before attempting to dive there, but once I feel I have that experience I'd dive it given the right conditions. Chuck's post really sheds some light on the degree of extra precaution needed when diving so far from help and in an area with an extra perceived risk of danger - very interesting.

drl:

aka: The man in the grey suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom