Would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, here's something a bit different, a little game for anybody who cares to play.

I am curious who would, and who would not, dive with me (as in be my dive buddy), and why.

I don't mean this to be a personal thing about me... I mean it to be about whether you would or would not dive with ANY person with my experience level and equipment, given the information that I am going to list below, and I am going to give three scenarios that I would like you to answer "Yes, I would dive with you" or "No, I would not" in those conditions. All three of the conditions are ones that I personally WOULD dive without hesitation.

First, about me.

Personal: I have a bit over 100 total dives in (including 20+ training dives) plus at least 50 pool dives where most of the "coursework" is done. I was certified in September, 2008, so at the time of this posting I have almost one year's worth of diving in. I learned to swim three weeks before my open water class and passed the PADI swim test... but I am not a strong surface swimmer. I am a big guy but I am also a cyclist who rides 25-30 miles a day so I am in excellent cardio shape (even though I look a bit like the Pillsbury Dough Boy). I am level headed and not prone to panic (although I do realize that ANYBODY can panic).

Training & skills (or lack thereof): I have taken and passed the PADI OW, AOW and Rescue class plus have 8 other specialty cards at the moment, most of which are silly and pointless. Of those classes, I do feel that the Rescue class was of great value. I would rate (for my number of dives and experience) my underwater swimming skills as average, my buoyancy skills as significantly above average (I concentrate on underwater photography, and buoyancy is my thing) and my buddy skills as average. My navigation skills are horrible.

Diving experience: Most of my dives have been made in fresh water cold water in 15 foot visibility or less with no current or surge. I have about 20 dives of 40 minutes or more with visibility 5 feet or less. The coldest water I have dove in was 58 degrees on the surface and 48 below the cline (I dive wet... kids, do not try this in a 3 mil farmer john without hood or gloves like I did... worst 42 minutes of my diving life). The warmest I have dove in is 84 degrees. The deepest I have dove is 112 feet (while doing Deep Dive training) at Kona. I regularly dive within 8 feet of the surface taking pictures, spending nearly entire dives at that level. When diving above 60 feet and not rushing about all over the place, I have a SAC that will allow me to get an hour or more on an AL80. I am strictly open water, and I generally do not dive below 60 feet unless there is a reason for me to go lower (like, say, garden eels... I like garden eels). I have dove in swells up to 6 feet, in moderate (but not strong) current and in some very strong hurricane generated surge. I have about 20 open ocean dives.

Equipment: I wear a Transpac/wing with 5 foot hose primary to pass and bungied alternate, dive wet (although I am going dry this month so let's assume I can dive dry for the purpose of this game). I wear (for the purpose of this game) split fins (I actually DO wear them a lot in the cold water). I wear a non-AI computer, a bungied wrist compass and I wear a snorkel :)

OK, here are the three Scenarios:

ONE: Quarry dive, the visibility is 15 feet above the 'cline, 1 foot through the 'cline and 35 below it. Temperature is 76 at the surface and 68 below the 'cline. Would you dive as my buddy (or anybody else's for that matter).

TWO: Drift dive, warm water, 100+ foot vis (something I have absolutely no experience whatever with) in a group containing one DM of unknown quality.

THREE: Spiegel Grove, rough seas and strong current, average visibility. Dive plan calls for us not to exceed 90 feet or penetrate the ship.

OK, would you dive as my (or somebody with similar training & equipment's) instabuddy any or all of these dives

If so, would you have any concerns. If not, would you share why not (things like "I only dive DIR and you are not DIR" or "I don't dive cold water" or "I don't dive with people with your experience level" or whatever would be great).

One: yes

Two: yes

Three: no

I don't think you have the experience to do the Grove, especially in those conditions. Plus, I wouldn't go all they way down there and not penetrate :)

1 - Yes, you seem to have experience with this kind of stuff
2 - No. I've never done a drift dive and since you say you're only an average buddy I wouldn't feel comfortable.
3 - No. Sounds like rough conditions for someone with your experience level.

I would do all 3 as long as both you and I are comfortable with the conditions at the time.

I'd definitely spend a lot more time planning the third dive with you than the other two.

1 Maybe
2 YES
3 NO

I am not used to diving in limited visibility, that or cold water does not much appeal to me. I don't have the equipment for cold water, with only a 3MM wetsuit. I would consider Dive #1 if I had a westsuit better suited to the colder water and we did at least 1 shallow dive above the "cline" so I could get a better understanding of your Style. As far as #2 goes, we would have to have a serious coverstion about what the Dive plan was, ie depth, length of dive, what style of diving you do and what kind of "buddy" you think you are etc. I am not qualified to dive #3 as all I have is a OW Cert. So the answer for #3 is a big NO.

1- no, The quarry diving doesn't interest me at all. I'd rather drink beer outside the quarry watching everone dive.

2- yes. Stick close and have plan

3- yes. Trial by fire. I have less dive than the op any way. Will he dive with me?

Maybe on all 3, but here are the concerns and questions I would ask you .
1) Do you do safety stops on all dives?
2) Do you stick with your buddy or "wander off"?
3) Do you follow a 30 ft min assent rate?
3) Are you a know it all or do you listen to others?
4) Do you tend to go through air fast or slow?
5) Is your gear maintained properly?
6) Seems like you have done a lot of diving / classes in the last 2 years, are you sure you really did them?

3- yes. Trial by fire. I have less dive than the op any way. Will he dive with me?

We'd be reading about the two of you on the Incidents and Accidents forum, or worse.

:shakehead:

Provided YOU were comfortable with all 3 dives, I would dive with you. Anyone who knows this much about their abilities and limitations is far ahead of someone who just "knows" he is a great diver. Would you do dive #3 with an instabuddy?

I reserve the right to change my answer if either of us is lugging a camera. I know how I am when I'm shooting.

1 - Yes, you have experience in those conditions (I have never dived in a quarry) and I'm confident that I can manage once I get my weight right in fresh water.

2 - Maybe. Depends on the site. If it was along a wall or fringing reef / slope close to shore - yes, have done many dives like that and enjoy them, and if we get separated from the group (you and your bloody camera, I bet!), we will just surface elsewhere and find the / an exit point. If it was open water, I may want a more attentive buddy. I would make double sure that we have our own marker buoy and that we stick together and try not to lose the group either - so me and DM first, then taking pictures. If you don't agree with that, no. Don't want to tow you on the surface, either, so let's try to surface somewhere where the boat will spot us.

3) No. I don't have any experiences in those conditions, and while I would quite like to get some, I would prefer it to be with a buddy who is more experienced at those kind of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom