Question Would you explore a strange lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeflowigb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In my home region there exists almost no diving, except the emergency service divers who mostly recover bodies from lakes and rivers.
However, there are plenty of lakes there. One of these lakes is particularly intriguing as it is virtually unexplored. There are a couple caveats to be aware of.
  1. It is located at 6000 ft altitude
  2. It is quite chilly - we are speaking about 50 Fahr in summer time.
  3. Typical lake viz - not too murky, though. Maybe 10-15 feet.
  4. The nearest decompression chamber is at least 15 hours away by a road that goes 13000 ft into the mountains.
  5. Max depth is 60 feet - not too deep.
  6. It disappears.
The last point is the most unnerving. It is speculated that the lake is being fed by underwater caves, through which the water escapes completely from time to time. Being sucked into a syphoning cave is not on my bucket list.

Considering the above, can you figure out any potential dangers I left out, and would you explore it, and what would be your dive plan?
The lake in question:

0D043F64-13D0-47CD-8735-389FC5837571.jpeg

Would you explore a strange lake?

Yes

water conditions sound like the same in my area.

be sure you understand how to plan altitude dives.

don't explore it alone and have surface support. if you are in an isolated area, what is the plan if an emergency situation occurs. is there cell service? do you carry O2? make sure you develope a solid safety plan just in case.

perhaps look deeper into the vanishing water problem. see if there are patterns. does it do it during certain times of the year? is it related to the tides (if you are near the ocean ? etc.

are you able to explore it when it is dry so you have a good idea of what to expect? sounds very interesting.

I would dive and explore it in a heart beat.
Dive plan;
1. Talk to locals and determine the time frame for filling and static water level and plan dive during this time. Determine how long it takes the lake to drain.
2. Study any topographical maps and Goggle Earth to determine the bottom contours.
3. Determine shore support needed.
4. Buddy up with another experienced diver (group of divers)
5. From maps start planning dive using distance and compass bearings.
6. Start dives running line and compass bearing to fine the point the lake is draining from.
7. Install (place) marker to determine when lake starts draining.
8. Run line or rope into lava tube (cave) if size of tube allows and start exploring.

Of course the plan would change as information is gathered and researched. But this is the start.

8. Run line or rope into lava tube (cave) if size of tube allows and start exploring.
I would be leery of this part. If a lava tube or cave is how it drains, there could be a risk of high flow entrapping someone. Divers die pinned against the outflow of damns periodically due to this.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom