Would you get rid of a Gekko?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dive recreationally and occasionally, doing North Atlantic wrecks once or twice a summer, and Carribean warm water dives a few times per winter. I recently bought a Gekko as my 1st computer (was using tables before) because one of my buddies has one and was happy with it, and all I wanted was a basic, simple, easy to use one. That was before I knew about it's conservative algorithm as discussed on these forums.

In light of the conservatism of the Gekko, and taking cost into consideration, I was wondering if anyone would get rid of one if it was the only computer they had. It would cost some money in light of the difference you could sell a used Gekko for vs. the expense of purchasing a new, different, less conservative computer.

I understand that some people like conservative. But, if you weren't concerned about having a conservative computer and wanted to maximize your dive times, would you bite the bullet on the money issue and change?

Artimas:
I dive recreationally and occasionally, doing North Atlantic wrecks once or twice a summer, and Carribean warm water dives a few times per winter. I recently bought a Gekko as my 1st computer (was using tables before) because one of my buddies has one and was happy with it, and all I wanted was a basic, simple, easy to use one. That was before I knew about it's conservative algorithm as discussed on these forums.

In light of the conservatism of the Gekko, and taking cost into consideration, I was wondering if anyone would get rid of one if it was the only computer they had. It would cost some money in light of the difference you could sell a used Gekko for vs. the expense of purchasing a new, different, less conservative computer.

I understand that some people like conservative. But, if you weren't concerned about having a conservative computer and wanted to maximize your dive times, would you bite the bullet on the money issue and change?

I dive a Gekko, and I'm always the last one out of the water. A more liberal computer wouldn't make much difference to me...

for now, my Gekko serves me well.

I can dive both air and ean with it.

until I transition to a 'non-basic' form of scuba, I'll keep it (unless some unbelievable deal comes along on a cochran or some other Suunto with all the features and wireless integrated air)

Is there not the possibility of changing the dive profile to make it slightly less conservative? I know that you can make it more so, but .... perhaps not as this might lead to abuse.

I am currently diving a Gekko and really love it. Probably the only thing that does bother me is the lack of backlighting. I am, however, not an overly aggressive diver (although I like to dive regularly) and I generally do not push my dives @ all (w/ re to frequency, shorter SIs, etc.)

I have no problem getting plenty of dive time from a Gekko. If you're talking multiday, multilevel diving, just using a computer at all is such a huge win over diving tables that's plenty. I'm sure I could come up with very specific profiles where the more conservative computer would be limiting to me but practically speaking, I don't run into that.

Do you feel the Gekko is actually limiting your dives, or are you just reading about other people commenting that it's more conservative than some? If this is hypothetical problem I would forget about it until it's real, if ever. And then, if you are frequently pushing a Gekko to the edge, you have to ask yourself if you actually want to be more aggressive.

I have a vyper 2 which I believe uses the same algorithm. On the vyper you can set it at rgbm 50% instead of 100% and make it a tad less conservative. On the other hand I get away with three consecutive 30 m+ dives in a day without too much impact on NDL using the conservative setting so I haven't seen a need to change it. I believe that the algorithm punishes some behaviours like short surface intervals, bouncing and fast descents. I've also heard that it can impose fairly rough deco-times if you push past NDL but I haven't tried that out personally. What I do know is that I haven't yet been forced to call a dive off before a buddy regardless of what computer they've been using. I would keep the Gekko, Suunto makes good gear.

Keep the Gekko!!! These computers are well built and their algorithm is good.

Conservative or non conservative is just a bull**** comparison. It just doesn't work that simple. There are so many more factors that give under certain circumstances other results on different computers. And also remember that a computer works on basis of a model, not measurements... A more accurate, more sofisticated model can be more 'conservative' under certain circumstances. Also remember that much is still unknown about decompression theory.

Indeed Suunto tends to give more penalty to jojo-dives and and some other nasty stuff. But you should ask yourself if that is a good habbit anyway.

I personally haven't noted a problem with the profiles I dive so far, and am reasonably happy with the Gekko's operating logic, screen, etc.

The reason I asked is because there seems to be an awful lot of enthusiastic discussion here about how conservative it is, and how it has severely limited the dives of those discussing it, that it's not proven to be safer than less conservative ones, etc. The logical question is if I might have had different (longer) dive times with a computer using a different algorithm. I'd have no way of knowing, other than actually diving 2 different computers side by side, which I haven't done.

Has anyone used 2 different computers at the same time? (side by side on one diver, not comparing 2 buddy's computers. That's an invalid comparison in my view)

You're diving only occasionally, and I think that a simple, easy-to-read computer (like the Gekko) is a good match for you. My girlfriend really likes hers. I use a Suunto Mosquito and have found it to be quite adequate for the typical diving I do locally. Our dive buddies use an array of Sherwood, Suunto, and Aeris-branded dive computers. Although we are using different computers, we find that our NDLs are very similar at various times/depths during our typical dives. I will concede that this is highly anecdotal evidence, and I'm sure that more aggressive dive profiles or repetitive dives with short surface intervals could bring out more differences in the deco algorithms used by the various computers. If your only reason for selling the Gekko is the allegedly "too conservative" RGBM algorithm, I would recommend against it. IMHO, I think you would be wasting a few bucks. Sit tight. You've got a solid nitrox-capable computer with an easy-to-use interface. Happy diving!

If you have lots of money go for it. If not don't waste your money on a new computer. For the odd minute here or there I don't think the money loss is worthwhile especially with the amount of diving you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom