Would you give it a rest already!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hopeful and if I can't dive, I am going to enjoy the fact that I am not at work! :) And then I'm running back home and going to enjoy my lovely winter diving conditions.

I got out with Jupiter Dive Center last Friday and had a couple of great dives at Mike's reef and Tunnels: looks like this Friday won't be too bad either....

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz650.txt

I am truly sorry to hear that some dive ops are struggling financially because of all the bad weather. I've not totally figured out the economics of the industry in good times: I can't imagine what it is like now!!

Geez, I'm glad it's not just me. I kinda wanted to go diving if only to exercise the engines. I had a friend text me on the 1st to go out and fish and drop me, but I missed it. The seas were flat that day, but that's been it. I started thinking that maybe it was ok out there and I was out of whack or something worse.
It probably is something worse, but at least it's not the seas.

(with apologies to the National Institute of Mental Health SAD site)

Scuba Seasonal Affective Disorder (SSAD) is episodes of depression, restlessness, and irritability that occur among divers, usually during winter.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Divers who live in places with extended winter offshore winds and rough surf are at greater risk for SSAD.
Other factors that may make SSAD more likely include:
  • Low Viz
  • Low Water Temperature
  • Snowbird traffic
  • Wetsuit shrinkage over the holidays

Symptoms

Symptoms usually build up slowly in the winter months. Symptoms are usually the same as with depression:
  • Increased appetite with weight gain
  • Tendency to do the same inshore dives over and over until you know the given names of every creature under BHB
  • Less energy and ability to concentrate
  • Loss of interest in work or anything other than scuba-related activities
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal
  • Spending too much time surfing Internet diving sites and scuba sales, and reading and rereading old scuba diving magazines.
Signs and tests

There is no real test for SSAD.
Your health care provider can make a diagnosis by asking about your history of symptoms and checking your dive log.

See also: Irritability

Treatment

As with other types of depression, antidepressant medications and talk therapy can be effective.
Internet shopping, Chocolate, Beer, or wine can be an antidepressant medication.
Talk therapy similar to couples counseling can be done with dive buddies.
Taking long walks near the ocean and getting exercise can make the symptoms better.
Keep active socially, even if it involves talking to non-divers.

Attempts to replicate dive conditions may be helpful..
  • Follow doctor's instructions about how to use photos torn from dive magazines spread around the sleeping area to mimic being underwater, on a liveaboard, etc. Sound generators that make bubble noise have sometimes helped. Long periods spent with mask and fins in the tub or shower may reduce tension
Symptoms of depression should improve within 3 - 4 weeks if simulated dive therapy is going to help.

Side effects of simulated dive therapy include:
  • Eye strain and headache from wearing a mask all day
  • Difficulty in communications while speaking on the phone through a regulator
  • Mania, less often (see: Bipolar disorder)
With no treatment, symptoms usually get better on their own with the change of seasons.

Last edited:
(with apologies to the National Institute of Mental Health SAD site)

Scuba Seasonal Affective Disorder (SSAD) is episodes of depression, restlessness, and irritability that occur among divers, usually during winter.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Divers who live in places with extended winter offshore winds and rough surf are at greater risk for SSAD.
Other factors that may make SSAD more likely include:
  • Low Viz
  • Low Water Temperature
  • Snowbird traffic
  • Wetsuit shrinkage over the holidays

Symptoms

Symptoms usually build up slowly in the winter months. Symptoms are usually the same as with depression:
  • Increased appetite with weight gain
  • Tendency to do the same inshore dives over and over until you know the given names of every creature under BHB
  • Less energy and ability to concentrate
  • Loss of interest in work or anything other than scuba-related activities
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal
  • Spending too much time surfing Internet diving sites and scuba sales, and reading and rereading old scuba diving magazines.
Signs and tests

There is no real test for SSAD.
Your health care provider can make a diagnosis by asking about your history of symptoms and checking your dive log.

See also: Irritability

Treatment

As with other types of depression, antidepressant medications and talk therapy can be effective.
Internet shopping, Chocolate, Beer, or wine can be an antidepressant medication.
Talk therapy similar to couples counseling can be done with dive buddies.
Taking long walks near the ocean and getting exercise can make the symptoms better.
Keep active socially, even if it involves talking to non-divers.

Attempts to replicate dive conditions may be helpful..
  • Follow doctor's instructions about how to use photos torn from dive magazines spread around the sleeping area to mimic being underwater, on a liveaboard, etc. Sound generators that make bubble noise have sometimes helped. Long periods spent with mask and fins in the tub or shower may reduce tension
Symptoms of depression should improve within 3 - 4 weeks if simulated dive therapy is going to help.

Side effects of simulated dive therapy include:
  • Eye strain and headache from wearing a mask all day
  • Difficulty in communications while speaking on the phone through a regulator
  • Mania, less often (see: Bipolar disorder)
With no treatment, symptoms usually get better on their own with the change of seasons.

Classic :rofl2:

Glad that weather is getting better! Going to be in FLL area (and hope to do BHB as well) with family and hope to catch some shore dives. Crossing my fingers for some diving 26-29th.

Friday: SE wind 6 to 8 kt. A slight chance of showers. Seas around 2 ft. Intracoastal waters smooth becoming a light chop.

Water temp was 77 this afternoon at the Boynton Inlet.

Boats loaded, looking forward to diving two tanks tomorrow..... Gonna be a bad Christmas for the bugs!

Go cave diving :D !!!......Beats sitting around moaning/groaning and better than not diving at all :O !!!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom