Would you lend, or accept, a hand when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, back to the idea of dive boat lifts, which they do so well in the UK but for some reason not here in 99.9 of NA.

There used to be one in Tobermory, but it’s retired.

I've enjoyed this thread and not just because I'm 72. I probably was of the opinion that if you can't handle all of your gear, you should not be diving because in some situations, you could be a liability. Over the years, I've changed my feelings because I do see more and more divers of my generation, needed some, to a lot of assistance, and on normal recreational dives, there's nothing wrong with giving or getting a little help.

I think it comes down to, be wise on what you are attempting and understand that not all dives are for everyone. My last live aboard had most divers helping most divers on small to large tasks, and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Small tenders made it easy and necessary for most divers to give and get assistance. I have lightened up and see that as a sign of maturity on my part.

I stopped skiing years ago, but before I did, I saw skiers with all sorts of handicapping conditions enjoying the slopes. Skiers who are blind, single-legged, legless--you name it--love to ski and even compete. They just need some level of accommodation appropriate to their condition.

Why should diving be different? Why should someone needing something as simple as a hand up to get on the boat after a dive be excluded from the joy of diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom