WOW! Have you guys heard of this????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
No. It makes them look like a good group of folks trying to help, but working with bad info. The scientists providing the info were wrong. Did they simply not give the situation enough study before endorsing the concept? I don't know. The folks volunteering their time to accomplish two good deeds (eliminating the nightmare of tires in land fills and building reefs) do not look dumb in any way shape or form. Hind sight is 20/20. What were you doing to help the environment in the mid 70s?

The canadians were harboring the cowards who ran from the draft in the 70's.Guees they are proud of that and maybe that helped the enviornment.

Wouldn't be canada without it.

Sweet

From what I understand, the Borward County tire plan was based on a similar plan that had been implemented of the Carolina coast that had been sucessful. That said, they should have done a small-scale trial before the massive tire dump. I've been on that reef and it is strange and sad.

Some of the money collected from the fines from the recent ship groundings may be going to help with the tire cleanup. If you have thoughts about how the tires should be dealt with, contact the Broward County Commissioners and let them know.

Something against Canadiens EastEndDiver?
I read back & see where you were coming from. Which province are you in Scuba Steve?

trigfunctions:
they should have done a small-scale trial before the massive tire dump.

I find it very odd they didn't try that.

I have not dove the Hilton Head Tire Reef yet, but I have fished it frequently, and the fish that we catch are only attracted to structure so it seems here off South Carolina it has worked.

I will have to dive it in the next couple of weeks and give you all a follow up as to what's on the bottom here.

-Michael

Walter:
I could be wrong, but I believe there is a chemical breakdown that is harmful.
Not that I know of... it is, after all, cooked tree sap :)
All the complaints in the article are about mechanical effects.
Rick
I will say that an oyster growing on a tire has a lousy flavor... sorta rubbery. I've tried it, didn't like it - but it doesn't seem to hurt the oyster.

Rick Murchison:
Not that I know of... it is, after all, cooked tree sap :)

yup, basically ... but now-a-days they make them out of synthetic petroleum products ...

anyway, unless you burn the tires, they basically just sit there and do nothing

surprsingly (to me) they get used as fuel for various commercial applications

the rest end up taking a lot of space. the biggest hazard is non-commercial burning of tires. the fire releases the chemicals in them and people have to be evacuated. worse, burned rubber decomposes into oil and contaminates the soil and ground water.

their second "harzard" is that tires can create environments for mosquitos and other pests to breed, causing problems down the road.

finally, there are just so many of them (and so many more are discarded each day) that the space and money it takes to keep them somewhere (usually landfills) adds up pretty fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom