WOW! Have you guys heard of this????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me, Plot - I'm still too green to let the DM outta my sight! As I was reading in another discussion - certification came way too easy, I don't feel like I know enough yet to leave the nest, so to speak. And I won't, until I'm comfortable! Thanks for the good advice!

K

I saw this report on CNN while I was on the treadmill at the gym last week. It was so nice to see divers diving, and I could feel the nitrogen loading in my blood. Ahh. I know. I'm sick but I have a really bad case of withdrawal.

I would *so* volunteer for a week of tire-retrieval diving if they ever decided to use the general diving public. Get me out there and give me something to breathe (don't know the depths, so I can't be specific), and I'll gladly put in the work.

(Of course, the chances of anyone ever making the offer for me to take are somewhere between slim and a lawyer, but I've driven farther to clean up dry land...)

This is a typical managerial decision... make it someone else's problem, take no responsibility for the decision, and pretend you didn't get any advice against it so you don't have to take responsibility for the cleanup.

Everyone involved in this should have to pay for its cleanup and return all the tires from whence they came... this is the most idiodic thing I've ever heard, and it does not take a genius to figure out an object almost neutrally-buoyant in the water could actually MOVE?!

ehuber:
This is a typical managerial decision... make it someone else's problem, take no responsibility for the decision, and pretend you didn't get any advice against it so you don't have to take responsibility for the cleanup.

Everyone involved in this should have to pay for its cleanup and return all the tires from whence they came... this is the most idiodic thing I've ever heard, and it does not take a genius to figure out an object almost neutrally-buoyant in the water could actually MOVE?!
Inasmuch as there are precedent sites where tires have been used with success and without damage to the surrounding environment, you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Secondary effects are not always readily apparent; 20/20 hindsight is.
The latest good news I've heard is that the Navy's figured out some way to use the mitigation of this site as a training exercise.
Rick

Going to start a new Thread with information on future volunteer info.

Will call it: Tire Reef Cleanup - Fort Lauderdale

I may have just missed it in the article but what's the depth on this? How deep are these tires?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom