Wrecks, new buddies and weak personalities...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid, there's a few things I'll take away from this experience, calling a dive firmly being one.

Being overconfident is part of a males DNA and we all suffer from it to a point. The difference is when we dive, mistakes can have catastrophic results.

The lesson was learned, no one was hurt, the dive did have a positive outcome. Good, log the dive and start planing the next one.

I tried to downplay the event because I didn't want to seem like a drama queen. You get such different perspectives in Scuba, from one day and one person, to the next, that evaluating what is and isn't the correct response to a situation is complex as a relative novice. And standing up to those with more experience is again, not always as easy as it sounds.

That is completely understandable, JCLynes. The truth is that, at least in parts of the USA, the dive community subtly enforces a hierarchical structure.

Heck, the assistants are called "DiveMASTERS." It sounds like they are in charge, right?

You learned. Pass it on, my friend.

JClynes--
Here is a golden opportunity for you to take the rescue diver course from whatever agency you wish to. To date, it is the most satisfying and rewarding course I've ever taken.

What I sensed from reading your thread is that you KNEW that something was about to go wrong but were not (or at least you didn't feel like you were) properly equipped to deal with it. Kudos for knowing something was amiss, even while you were dealing with your own narcosis symptoms. If I were in your shoes (fins?), I would go take that rescue course. You'll be amazed at how much more confident a diver you'll become. Safer, too.

Just my twopence worth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom