Wrinkles July '05 Dive planning thread - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bags are packed and the alarm clock is set... I'll see everyone there (provided that Starbucks doesn't go out of business overnight).

Lexy- Don't know if you will get this in time. Did four dives today. Conditions were fairly good at depth (30' vis in most areas below 40'). Surge in the shallows stirred things up a bit so there were lots of particulates but fair vis there. Coldest water temp was 52 degrees (70 ft) with thermoclines noted at 25 and 40 ft through the day.

I spent three of my dives just combing the finger reef extending down towards the Cousteau memorial. Was quite pleased with the footage I've edited so far considering the stirred up conditions. Did have trouble "planting" myself in the surge and missed a number of potentially great video sequences (mainly octopuses).

Did spent most of one dive and part of another looking for the black sea bass that everyone else seems to be seeing but me this year. I am usually diving in areas of the Park they don't frequent and have my eye glued to my viewfinder so I would miss them if they swam past me.

Of special interest was what appeared to be a school of corbina in the park. Fishers say they've been seeing them in Avalon Bay where the habitat is more appropriate (sandy bottom). Will have to check the video footage I shot to verify the ID.

Bill

Yay!! Finally made it to a Wrinkles dive & put some faces with some names! :eyebrow: Christian (the safari diver), TechAdmin (heh, pretty cool that we live w/in walking distance of each other!) , Dr Bill (who looks much younger than he actually is!), and a couple of others- I believe it was Ross and Frank O?
Conditions weren't that great due to lower than usual vis & a litle surge, but we all had a good time (even though the guys were jealous of my pink dive accessories :lol2: ).
I attached one of the pics... Hmmm, who knew a trash can would balance a camera so well... go figure.

Well, thank you MissyP! I stay young due to all the diving, salt water and lack of stress on this beautiful island. And good genes help too.

Just got back from carousing about town with Christian. I enjoyed talking with him at Antonio's and El Galleon. We'll do a few dives in the morning.

Dr. Bill

Thank you all for a great dive filled weekend!

As always, it was nice to see familiar faces and make some new friends. Aside from some 10 - 15 foot vis caused by about 25 - 30 bat rays at the swim platform (which were very cool to watch), I'd say that vis was pretty good. I hope that the video that Dr. Bill shot on that dive comes out well, because it was very interesting to see. Most of the time, it was at least 25 feet and at times well into the 30-foot range.

It was nice to meet people who don't post much on the board, but came by to say, "Hi" because they saw the ScubaBoard banner. It was also nice meeting people who came by to just ask what ScubaBoard was. Maybe we'll have some new people to come out and play in the future. :wink:

Bill P (I don't remember his screen name at the moment), whom I met at the last La Jolla Wrinkles dive, wanted to meet Dr. Bill, but whenever I looked for him he was out teaching a class. I think that we were just missing each other most of the time.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the next Wrinkles dive!

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom