Wrinkles September Dive Catalina 9-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrinkles,

If you do turn this into a "sleepover trip", please post it. It is hardly worth the trip down from San Jose for one day, but I would make the drive for two days of diving.

(We have a "rule" in snow skiing that you need to ski at least as many hours as it takes you to get to the place. We need a similar rule for diving. 8 hours of driving would require at least 4 dives minimum. Gotta think about this. . .)

Wristshot

Min of two night stay around $200-$300 per night...........not going to happen.

ryanarcher:
Oh no! I just found out that this is the same weekend I am going to visit the in-laws in Oklahoma :( So I have to pull my name from the list. Sorry!

Unfortunately, Ryan, I call "no backs". Which means you can't take it back, and must attend. Ask any kid. It also works with cooties.

I totally understand about the 'no backs' rule! But unfortunately that is why I have to go to OK...we had tickets to visit the family long ago. I just didn't know it was the same weekend as Catalina :(

Also, for Wristshot - you could do 4 dives in 1 day at Catalina...you would just have to take the early boat out and the late boat back. So stay in San Pedro somewhere and it will be much cheaper!

Wristshot:
Wrinkles,

If you do turn this into a "sleepover trip", please post it. It is hardly worth the trip down from San Jose for one day, but I would make the drive for two days of diving.

(We have a "rule" in snow skiing that you need to ski at least as many hours as it takes you to get to the place. We need a similar rule for diving. 8 hours of driving would require at least 4 dives minimum. Gotta think about this. . .)

Wristshot

John -

Here's an idea!! I did this in July after the July Wrinkles dive in Catalina... find a dive boat that leaves from Long Beach or that area for a Sunday all-day trip... many of them board on Saturday night... so you can dive Catalina, take the ferry back, have dinner in Long Beach, and board a dive boat for Sunday diving. See? No hotel necessary!

To check out the dive boats and schedules in the area you could look here.

Come on down!

jennifer

You see, this is why I (we) need you guys to tell us these things that we just don't know!

How expensive would a motel in San Pedro and a second day boat ride out to Cataline be compared to staying on the island? (I got no clue - like Schultz "I know nothing, Nothing!!)

Can't we stay at Bill's place since he won't be there?

W

See that's what I love about the ScubaBoard SoCal group!

You guys are so tricky! I love this! :D

Christian

Hey there everyone,

I am so pleased that you all were able to find Deadman's on the 22nd. Did you dive the East/ West Reef or the North/ South Reef??? The North/ South reef (deeper side) is my favorite.

I would love to join all of you on the 18th, but that may be too soon after my tonsilectomy. Will have to see. If I do make it out, I will bring my son, age 13 who is getting his OW certification this weekend. Any others have kids that dive???

Here is a suggestion for the 'next' Laguna Beach Dive: Cress Street! There is a really cool cave to swim through, plus another 'swim though' in a majestic wall. Zillions of bugs, HUGE bat rays, leapord sharks to name a few. I would be more than happy to navigate.

Anyone going out on the Mr. C this weekend??? (Sunday) I will be onboard!

Wristshot:
You see, this is why I (we) need you guys to tell us these things that we just don't know!

How expensive would a motel in San Pedro and a second day boat ride out to Cataline be compared to staying on the island? (I got no clue - like Schultz "I know nothing, Nothing!!)

W

Well, Jenn's idea to find a Sunday boat that boards Sat. night is probaby the most cost effective. Let's look at it (these are just average #'s):

Sat.: $50 Catalina Express r/t + $10 parking (not a dive boat, but a, well, ferry, I guess, that lets you bring all of your gear with you. They drop you off at the island, where it's a short trek over to the dive park todive all day)
$15 - 3 air fills
$8 - r/t baggage handling + tip (it's a short walk, but feels long when you're hauling your gear - trust us, it's worth it).
$XXX - lunch, dinner, food, snacks, etc...
If you stay at Catalina, you're looking at a room of approx. 1-300/night (and the rooms there - even the $300 ones, are nothing special. Old, basic rooms. There are some cheap bargains, but that's only relative). They've got a captive audience, being an island and all.

So, with prices like that, I'm assuming it leaves you back at San Pedro Sat. evening. You can pay for a hotel there to repeat everything above again the next day (btw -the ferry ride is 1 hr each way, so that's a lot of back and forth). Or, for approx. $120 you can board a dive boat (none of the boats here are luxurious, but they'll do - no worse than a night of camping with a cot, and some a lot better). If you go to one of the other islands (Santa Barbara or San Clemente), sometime in the middle of the night, the boat will leave and start the 5 hour ride over, so when you wake up at 8 am, you'll be at your destination and able to start diving. These boats will all serve you a nice, hot breakfast and lunch (and depending on which one, you'll get a # of snacks and maybe even dinner), included in the price, along with air fills, usually for 3 dives. Generally, they'll start heading back in the early afternoon. The price of the dive boats usually breaks even with the price of a day of diving in the park, all things considered, and with the boat allowing you to sleep on it Sat. night, you wouldn't need to pay for the hotel room.

I'm not too familiar with San Pedro if you still wanted to go the way of the hotel room, but I do know that some areas are not great. Rooms can probably vary from cheap to as much as you'd want to spend, but I wouldn't know what to recommend for you.
Hope that helps. If I didn't have plans to be at the dive park that Sunday, I would volunteer to join you on a boat and play tourguide. Hopefully someone else will be able to, and if not, I will be at the dive park Sunday, so if you want to do it 2 days in a row, I'll see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom