Wrist mounted computer with clip on spg OR console mounted computer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
2 questions

1) I have a $500 budget and I'm looking at getting the Aeris Atmos II or the Suunto Vyper. Are those good choices? Any preference between the two? I want something with Nitrox for recreational purposes but nothing more fancy. But if I could get a VT PRO for around $600, would that be a better choice, so i could have everything on my wrist, or are the transmitter's still an issue?

2) If I got the Atmos II or the Vyper, I'd like to use it wrist mounted and have a clip off spg. Is this a problem, having to look at two different instruments? I don't consume as much air as my buddies, so i'm assuming I'll be looking at my depth more than air, so i could wrist mount it. Any opinions?

Thanks alot, this is my first computer purchase, trying to make the right choice!

I have a non-integrated wrist computer with a traditional hose-mounted SPG. The thing I like about the system is that I also have a depth gauge on the SPG console, which gives me a backup in case of computer failure. The console has my compass, too. We use our compasses a lot due to poor vis conditions.

The downside is needing to check two different instruments, but that's not a problem for me.

Usually I want to look at one or the other, not both - and I stay aware of my air supply. I don't think it's any harder to monitor wrist & console than it is to monitor a 2-sided computer/compass/SPG console like many people use. The computer is right there on my wrist as I'm holding my console to read it!

I have been tempted by the Suunto "Cobra" air integrated console. It isn't wireless, but can be had for less than $550 online. Then, all my info would be in the same place. I could always attach the backup SPG/Depth console to a second High Pressure port if I wanted redundancy for something demanding, like solo diving.

I've never had personal experience with a AI wrist computer. But I've heard that they aren't nearly as reliable as non AI wrist computers. So if you decide to go the wrist computer route, the more expensive AI computer may give you some more unwanted problems.

If you decide to go for a non AI wrist computer; I would look at getting a Nitek Duo. It's a dual nitrox computer which could come in handy. It's also very user friendly and has a nice large display. I've seen it for $400 online, but bought mine locally for $320 (was part of a package). The reason I like wrist computers is how easy it is to monitor depth and ascent rates and other critical data.

wrist mounted all the way:

1) If you're ascending on a line it's very easy to keep an eye on while leaving you a free hand (if you hold the line with your computer hand)

2) If you're swimming in horizontal trim with you're arms out in front as I do you'll always have you're gauge in sight and you'll be more prone to check it often.

3) A big bulky console can get tangled or hang down and destroy coral etc.. I'd get a simple SPG and put it on a nice short hose with a bolt snap (which you unclip to check your PSI then reclip so it's secure and tight to your body..

Just what works for me.

thanks you all, really good feedback! Any other comments?

I use a wrist mount with a plain bootless SPG, and like it a lot. The wrist mount, like Pilot said, is awsome when your holding a line, as you can see it with the same hand you're holding. Also it's acutally better protected than a console, as all you have to do is turn it so the screen is on the inside of your wrist, and it's safe. And, if you have to rent regs, your computer can go with you a lot easier than a console or a hoseless AI computer.

Wrist mount with SPG. I use a Vytec with SPG...without the transmitter (I used to use the trans but don't anymore).

I know this is out of your budget but I just wanted to pass along my experience with wireless...

I just finished my AOW + Nitrox training using the D9 with transmitter. My dives were completed off NC coast with Olympus Dive Center. The dives were INTENSE! 110' plus!!! With 6'-8' swells. The wrecks and marine life were unbelievable.

I was hesitant to bring up the fact that I even wanted to experiment with a wireless computer for this certification to my AOW instructor, but once I came clean he was all about it. He assured me that Suunto is a great company with great reliability. He dives Suunto Vyper and UwaTec - neither are wireless however.

I did my 5 AOW dives with the wireless wrist mounted computer and was very, very happy with the results. The course director there even dives wireless. However, I am still going to keep a backup analogue system that is very trim *just in case*.

The most attractive componment of the wireless wrist mounted feature for me that is that it's right there infront of you...all info on one screen. I dove with it mounted on my right wrist and transmitter on the right side of my 1st stage.

Thanks you guys. Hey Nvert, glad you had a good time! Sounds like some fun dives. I live in Middleburg, i think it's 50 miles north of you, maybe, not sure, anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. Any more? I think I might go with wrist and SPG, due to the budget. I might end up getting a wireless one in a few years.

Oh, as far as keeping the spg out of the way, is there an easy way to make the hose shorter? What about clipping it off way out of the way, like on the side of the harness (I have a transpac II), instead of on the front?

Back
Top Bottom