Wrist Vs. Console Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the next question for me is since I am a new diver just looking to purchase equipment, I don't want to spend a fortune as I don't really know what I want/need yet - which is the best value wrist style for a beginner? I haven't really started looking at them yet but figured any advice would make the research easier. Julie

Aeris makes a nice one (XR1 and XR2) and the Suunto Gekko is a nice device for about 275 bucks.

Yes, you can have issues with security when diving a drysuit, as the suit compresses. If you're using a wrist strap, it's important to put it on a little tighter than you think. A better solution is to get one of the computers that fits in a DSS boot with bungie. The bungie stretches to get the gauge on, and contracts as the suit compresses. Tobin's boots are awesome.

IMO: Having the buggie just negates point of wireless.

wrist............on the right side forearm for me.....

Someone asked which brand to buy.This has been discussed many times here recently.I have a Dive-rite plus,which is the size of a large wrist watch and can be worn as such.For a larger face the Dive-rite duo is a great computer[both are 2-gas for deco]I look like a Dive-rite billboard but the stuff is great.

I like my wrist mounted dive computer. I have the Geo by Oceanic. No probs at all and I end up wearing it as my watch after the dive. Look online and you can find them for under 300.

I've been using Oceanic's Atom 2 for nearly two years and Datamask for about a year.

I've NEVER had a transmitter problem.

I heard the same stories about wireless PDCs being unreliable, prone to failure, voodoo magic, etc. So I dove the Atom side-by-side with my PP2 (console) for 25 dives before I was comfortable that it was reliable. In over 100 dives, I have yet to have a single issue with my Atom 2. I had one issue with my Datamask, but that had nothing to do with being wireless.

Don't let folks scare you away from wireless PDCs. They're not voodoo.

Do you really think if wireless PDCs were that dangerous that there wouldn't be plenty of SPECIFIC examples here on the board?

Can someone please explain the whole computer/wrist wireless thing to me? Im just a little confused... Im use to having a depth and air console but guess as im not yet into the regular diving i have not got to the computer stage yet. Im gathering that your wrist comp needs to be able to measure the air in your tank - so are u saying that if you have a wrist comp you have to have a wirelss device? With the alternative being a console as that is attached via a hose to the tank? Or do some people just use the standard console for air/depth and then have the wrist comp to measure depth/time/safety stops and log your dives? Sorry if this sounds stupid! Im one for asking stupid questions but i need to understand this - its bugging me!

What you do need instant access to is your depth, which is why most experienced divers like to have a computer (which gives depth information) on their wrist. It's much easier to keep track of and control depth in mid water with a gauge that you can hold in convenient view. You obviously also need to know the pressure in your tank, but not with the same degree of immediacy. Most people find a glance at their SPG every five minutes or so is ample, and during a safety stop there's normally no need to refer to it. Once your air consumption improves with experience you'll find yourself looking at your SPG less and less frequently - on most dives I probably only look at it three or four times the entire dive. It really isn't necessary to have that information on yoiur wrist, with all the associated cost and complication. It would never occur to me to use an integrated computer, whether hose-linked or wireless.

IMO: Having the buggie just negates point of wireless.
Huh? The bungee is just shock cord, in essence it replaces the strap that the dive computer came with. You can use this with a standard pressure gauge (I prefer brass and glass) or with a computer with a wireless pressure gauge transmitter that attaches to the first stage.

FWIW, I personally have seen two cases where someone was unable to get their computer to "pair" to the wireless transmitter (one Vytec, one Atom). I don't know if its a common failure, but if you don't have a backup SPG and HP hose in your SaD kit you probably aren't diving the day it does happen. YMMV, but probably not. :eyebrow:

Thanks Peter,

One more question - do you just have an SPG or do you have a depth gauge as well to back up your computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom