Wrist Vs. Console Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, the nicest thing about having my computer on my wrist is not that I can easily see it (although that's a good thing) but that looking at it doesn't require me to do anything with my hands. I can easily, for example, be spooling up the line from a bag I've shot, and still monitor my depth.

I agree fully, but don't you find that your computer always drifts to the outer edge of your arm, so that even though you can easily see the instrument, you have to nudge it or move your arm to read it? I find the same cycling with a wrist watch - obviously I can see it without removing my hand from the handlebars, but usually I can't actually read it.

I can see why wrist mount gear is convenient, as is my watch. But, my console carries 3 separate items: SPG, computer and compass. Any of them would be fine on my wrist, but all three gets a bit crowded, IMHO. I clip my console to a spot I custom-created on my upper left-central chest, not far from my chin. It is an 8-12" retractor stretch to see it comfortably.

IMO a console is not an ideal place to keep a compass, as it's usually hard to hold it centrally in front of you without a bias towards the left (where presumably the hose comes from). I have a similar problem keeping it on either arm and so do most other people that I observe, so I have a button compass on my watch computer strap to get a general idea of where north is, and a "proper" compass in a pocket for when I need a more precise bearing/heading. If I use a wrist-mounted compass I always take it off and hold it centrally in both hands for use.

I agree fully, but don't you find that your computer always drifts to the outer edge of your arm, so that even though you can easily see the instrument, you have to nudge it or move your arm to read it?

Actually, no, I don't have that problem. My gauges are in DSS mounts with bungie, and I usually adjust them once on descent, and then they stay where they're put for the rest of the dive. The few times I've had to dive with something with an actual strap, it's been a PITA.

I wear my compass on my left wrist, and I'm quite sure I can't get it perfectly straight in front of me, but since it's always held in the same place, it seems that the error is consistent and I still get where I'm going (in other words, the true heading may be 180, and I'm reading my compass as saying it's 200, but because of the error in the positioning, I'm actually swimming 180 and I get there).

IMO a console is not an ideal place to keep a compass, as it's usually hard to hold it centrally in front of you without a bias towards the left (where presumably the hose comes from).
You can configure some compass mounts with the correct offset so your left arm doesn't have to be exactly perpendicular to your line of sight. I find that's more comfortable than holding my right elbow with my left hand to get a 90 degree angle on the wrist mounted compass. I dive with my hands clasped anyway, so that works well for me. And unless vis is terrible, I'm only taking a heading to some object in the distance and resetting to another object from there, I'm not watching the compass the whole time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom