Wrongful Death Suit re: Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I regret is mentioning the man's name. Apologies to anyone offended.

I will not respond to above post due to its unprofessional nature and personal attacks contained therein. PM sent to SB Staff member.

LobstaMan

I know alot about this case. Our dive club president is an ex cop who specialized in underwater crime and he said the guy is guilty. A harbormaster I know who is an expert diver said the same. I use this shop and I was there the day the news came in from Tortola. All I will say is this man has always been very nice and kind to us. His shop takes us diving on weekends for free. Instructors from his shop take us to spots we would not usually know about. This is a civil suit. Tortolla said it was an accident. The paper crucified this man, opened his personal business up. The paper has hanged him before the trial. Basically, the in laws want to hear the man killed his wife, and they want her money back. The husband inherited about 150K from his wife's bank account plus 400K insurance money. The inlaws want the money back. The man accused is a dive instructor, not a killer.

joed:
I know alot about this case. Our dive club president is an ex cop who specialized in underwater crime and he said the guy is guilty. A harbormaster I know who is an expert diver said the same.
Considering this is a civil suit, he cannot be found guilty of anything.

That's probably a good enough look into the worth of the legal opinions of your dive club president and the anonymous harbormaster.

jonnythan:
Considering this is a civil suit, he cannot be found guilty of anything.

Thats silly - of course he can be found either "guilty" or "not guilty" in a civil suit. If he's found liable, its a judgement of guilt. No, a judge cant pass a sentence like he/she could in a criminal trial, but can pass monetary and other judgements. It is a rather strange event that the case has gone to civil trial before a criminal trial might have been tried, but it's not uncommon. Whether it's right or wrong in anyone's opinion, people can sue other people in a civil case for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all. And the burdon of proof to win a civil case is generally held at a lower standard that it would be at a criminal trial, so many people see this as an option if the Prosecuter does not feel that they necessarily have enough evidence to move forward in a criminal proceeding.

Any death is unfortunate and sad, regardless of the circumstances that surround it; I just hope that the guy gets a fair trial, regardless of the outcome.

I'm not an attorney - just expressing my opinion.

with regard to the "strangeness" of a civil suit before a criminal case, the event happened in tortola which if I'm not mistaken is Brittish virgin islands so therefore NO US cirminal court would have jurisdiction, it would be the tortolan (sp) authorities who have apparently already ruled it an accident. The general rule of thumb on civil suits is anyone can file a case against anyone for anything at all the only question being can you win your challenge.

H2Andy:
procedurally, it's very odd for a trial to go on without one of the parties
present, though it can be done, particulalry if the jury has already been
selected

judges will tend to continue the case and impose sanctions on the missing
party. i would hate to be that lawyer. i imagine he will be suspended,
at a minimum, and possibly disbarred.

seems like this judge isnt' playing around

Not necessarily - it could be a jurisdiction question - or a Judge and the other Attorney not being understanding and courteous.

stevead:
with regard to the "strangeness" of a civil suit before a criminal case, the event happened in tortola which if I'm not mistaken is Brittish virgin islands so therefore NO US cirminal court would have jurisdiction, it would be the tortolan (sp) authorities who have apparently already ruled it an accident. The general rule of thumb on civil suits is anyone can file a case against anyone for anything at all the only question being can you win your challenge.

Almost - but it seems that it is a state court and the state court would have questionable jurisdiction at best in this case. And your rule of thumb is wrong - its not THAT simple

right i have no idea about this but in europe when some 1 goes diving if they are a qualiyfied diver they sign a waver to any actions taken on the instructor / dm
so they instructor or dm is not responsible for any injury or death caused to a person/s and when signed no third party can sue or anything like that the diver wavers all rights of him and family members to take any action against the death of such person (just out of intrest is it the same in the states)

Here in the U.S. that wouldn't fly because one person "A" has no legal right to waive the legal rights of another party "B", unless party "B" is a dependent child or a person of whom party "A" has legal custody. is the legal guardian and so forth (there are other things involved, mental competency, etc.) There may even be more legal aspects regarding what rights can be waived and what rights can't . . . don't know, I'm not a lawyer.

H2Andy should kick in here and educate us.

the Kraken

The judge always has the power in a civil case to order that any proceeding commence, or proceed, without the other party present. This, in it's simplest form, is what is at work in a "default prove up" (when a defendant has never appeared, and a default is taken, and the plaintiff then given the opportunity to prove damages). Now, whether or not that would stand on appeal would depend on just why the judge made that order. If it was in accordance with the Code of Civil Procedure in the jurisdiction, and supported by precedent based on the facts of the particular case, then that decision is likely to be upheld, even though the prejudice to the other party is evident. The jurisdiction and whether the diver's waiver would apply to these facts are wholly different questions. Apparently this is a wrongful death case brought against the husband by the wife's family. Jurisdiction is not dependent on where the death occurred, but the husband's domicile. "Wrongful Death" is not something that could be waived in a normal "diver's waiver," since it is not based on the diver's own actions, but the actions of another, whether negligent or reckless, although reasonable legal minds could differ on this question based on the issue of causation.

Back
Top Bottom